Join now - be part of our community!

Apps on sd card not updating

LANMAN
Visitor

Apps on sd card not updating

The apps I have moved to the sd card will not update. Anyone know why this is happening? My Phone is new and up to date. OS Android 8

14 REPLIES 14
Jeffers69
Visitor

Having the same problem. Issue seems to be with Apps that are on the SD card.  Moving them to the device memory allows the updates to install.  If there are lots of application updates and one fails due to it being on the SD card then the other apps won't update because they get stuck behind teh failing update.

LANMAN
Visitor

Thanks for your reply. The problem I have is none of the apps I have moved to the phone SD card will update unless I move them back to the internal drive. Is it possible to fit an SD card incorrectly? 

Jeffers69
Visitor

Hi LANMAN,

No I don't believe so.  This has always worked in the past and all my other data on teh SD card is fully accessible.  Indeed after updating the apps I'm able to move them back to the SD card anf they work fine.  I think this is a bug in the update software that has been introduced in the past few weeks, probably due to a software update of some kind.  I suspect it's an issue with the Google play update software as I've seen this posted for other (non-Sony) phones.

ObiMartKenobi
Visitor

I have this exact same problem. Sony Xperia XA1.  Apps on SD card won't update unless I move apps over to phone. Update, then move back to SD card. Its a real pain, never had this issue before. All data and everything else SD wise is fine. It really does seem that some recent update has messed up. Hope it gets sorted soon, as it's a major ballache

aaron_bush_96
Visitor

I'm getting the exact same problem with Xperia Z5. I have Azur Lane and Love Live! downloaded on my SD card, and yet those are the only 2 that have problems updating, the rest are on the Internet Memory... these 2 are also over 2GB so they need the extra space. really annoying.

Nabemar
Visitor

I have exactly the same problem on my Xperia Z5 compact.

This did not happen before about last 6 months

BigSim1988
Visitor

Same issue here with Sony Xperia Z5 Premium, to the point where in the past I formatted my phone and started again. Rapidly running out of internal memory as I don't want to keep moving them back and forth; at one point I had over 30 apps that couldn't update and it took ages to clear space and move them 1 by 1 to the internal memory. Needs sorting asap!!

Venutius1
Visitor

I too have the same problem and I am wondering how long it will take Sony to respond.  The SD card is there to help the internal memory from being full however if you can't update apps on the SD Card without uninstalling and reinstalling the app it's not much good is it Sony

profile.country.GB.title
pajo100

I am still on 7.1.1 so last update does not remove anything but still have to keep apps on internal storage or they won' t update,what a pain Sony should have sorted by now or are they deliberately avoiding doing anything.??