Join now - be part of our community!

Android 3.2 Bug? losing DNS

profile.country.en_GB.title
chrcoope7
Visitor

Android 3.2 Bug? losing DNS

Out of the box, conect to wifi at home and a update for android pops up!

So I do it...

Now running 3.2 from 3.1.

My wifi at home still works well but at work it keeps losing DNS.

Looks like a bug in version 3.2 not sony...??

Hope a new fix is out soon and some uses set wifi to static but I cant do that at work.

4 REPLIES 4
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

Interesting. When you say it loses it, when does this happen eg switching the tablet off or when browsing?

Tried it in a  few different wifi spots and not had this happen on 3.1 or 3.2. Do any other devices (ideally Honeycomb based) have the same issue?

chrcoope7
Visitor

Hi,

Well the connection is fine still has ip but on the wifi checker the Gateway/DNS numbers go RED after about 1 min.

As its a uni network if you use a ipad you have to down load a AddTrustExternalCARoot.crt, but the android system does not and connects with out it. So thinking this maybe the problem I put the crt into the download folder and done installed from storage option. But still does the same.

Also on my android phone its uses phase 2 - mschapv2 and stay connected.

If I use mschapv2 option on tablet it does not stay so used wifiace to job it and still have the same problem.

Other techy in UNI dont have a clue and we are all stuck.

Its just that I poopoo IPADS but they work on wifi... so I have to get my sony to work..

Thanks

Message was edited by: chrcoope7

P.S. did not try it on 3.1 as I updated to 3.2 at home wifi

Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

Ah the joys of uni networks. How I remember them for their annoyances. Most uni's do have some sort of authentication which is required otherwise it does kick people off. I know with my sister she had to install a small program on her laptop before she was given access to the network so I would assume the same applies to Tablets.

The question that pops to my mind is if (Android) phones can connect with no problem, Honeycomb devices should do. I will try and see what I can dig up in relation to this and keep you posted.

profile.country.nl_NL.title
breedBenR

I have the same or a similar problem on 3.2 on my home network.

It appears also to be on other android 3.2 devices, like Xoom.

apparently a workaroud is to set a static wifi ip. I did not manage to do so on the sony interface for settings (cannot press Menu in the right menu ).

I downloaded the App  ' Wifi Static ' from the market. it automatically makes my ip static if I connect to the homenetwork. testing it out and -as a workaround -so far so good.  This needs to be fixed though. Tablet without wifi at home is only 20% functional :wink: