Join now - be part of our community!

WH-1000XM4 - Started to "disconnect" after installing app

profile.country.GB.title
Mustey
New

WH-1000XM4 - Started to "disconnect" after installing app

So, I have been using these headphones, connected to my laptop for a year - and very happy.

Recently, I installed the Sony Headphone app on my phone - I don't know why is that related but maybe that app pushed a software update to the headphones which destroyed them?

Now, the headphones initially work as usual but after a few minutes they play a chime "too doo doo" (ascending tones) and stop playing the sound from my laptop.

After a few minutes, they play a similar chime but the tones are descending and I get "reconnected" to my laptop.

I want to emphasise that the Bluetooth on my phone is ALWAYS OFF, expect for a short period where I was listening from my phone - but I am not listening on my phone anymore!

So, what is this chime from the headphones trying to tell me?
How to stop the headphones from disconnecting?

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey Mustey, what's the software version on your headphones?

profile.country.GB.title
chadrenando
Explorer

Just a note on a similar problem with the XM4s and Bluetooth compatibility.

I hopped on Sony Chat to ask this same question. I am then told that WH-1000MX4 headphones are not supported on Windows 11 and to wait for Microsoft to support the headphones.  Given the WH-1000MX4 came out in 2020, Windows 11 was released in 2021 and we are now halfway through 2023, I doubt there will be any change.

However, this prompted me to search on Win 11 and WH-1000MX4 compatibility, as it never dawned on me that headphones and the OS would not be compatible with products released in the past 3 years.   

A post pointed me to the Intel Bluetooth / wireless drivers, which will not be caught in the Windows automatic updates.  I installed the new drivers yesterday and have not had an issue with dropout since, fingers crossed.

Just FYI for anyone else scratching their heads.