Join now - be part of our community!

Sony WF 1000 XM3 Charger burnt out!!

profile.country.GB.title
SuzieQ1954
Explorer

Sony WF 1000 XM3 Charger burnt out!!

Purchased in December 2020. Returned to Sony June 2021, charging case not charging. Replacement case sent. 29th August 2021 case put on charge as normal using Sony Charging USB lead and official plug. Was awoken to strong smell of burning! Charger completely burnt out. This is a severe fire risk and could potentially have been  very different outcome had I not woken!!

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @SuzieQ1954,

to which charger did you have the case connected to? Usually the charging case just draws the power it needs, but your description sounds like you connected it to a wall-adapter that "pushed" more power than it should.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
SuzieQ1954
Explorer

I used an original Apple USB plug which I was told was fine to use with the USB cable supplied with the charger unit. 

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey SuzieQ1954, have you tried contacting Sony?

profile.country.GB.title
SuzieQ1954
Explorer

The charger unit was returned two weeks ago. When I enquired about them I was told they were still investigating! Very disappointed with service. The charger unit was clearly irreparable and I therefore expected a replacement under warranty. It should not take two weeks to reach a conclusion that a replacement is required.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi SuzieQ1954, not sure what is happening at their end, but it's not a simple matter so I can imagine that it's going through a lot of investigations. Do let us know when you hear from them.

profile.country.GB.title
SuzieQ1954
Explorer

It has now been a month since the charger was sent for repair. I have sent numerous emails and made several phone calls to the repair centre to no avail. I am now going to get in touch with Trading Standards as the earphones are still under warranty and Sony are breaking the Sale Of Goods Act by not replacing the earphones which are irreparable. I find their Customer Service appalling and the fact that the damaged earphones could have caused a house fire I would have expected a quicker response. Very disappointing.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi SuzieQ1954, have you had the product back yet?