Join now - be part of our community!

Installing Internal DVD Writer to PCV-RX202

wargrave
Visitor

Installing Internal DVD Writer to PCV-RX202

:smileyconfused:: Having bought a RX202 last summer, I now regret not getting one with a writer.
Sony have just announced a new DVD writer compatible with all formats. Can I fix this to my machine without too much messing around or would I be better getting an external firewire DVD-Writer?

3 REPLIES 3
EzDoezIt
Visitor

Either way has its advantages and disadvantages.

Do you have a second 5.25" bay to add the DVD burner, or are you intending on replacing your current optical drive? The DRU500A is a very attractive deal since it supports both DVD-RW and DVD+RW formats.

The firewire option is attractive because you can easily move it from computer to computer, but you might find a lack of support in a lot of current software.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

The firewire options are rather expensive at the moment, best sticking with EIDE

wargrave
Visitor

Either way has its advantages and disadvantages.
I was thinking of replacing my DVD Reader with an internal burner. Sony told me that that the RX202 had a propriteary connection 9nstead of standard iDE but I thought this was not correct.
Do you know?
Rgds
Tim
Do you have a second 5.25" bay to add the DVD burner, or are you intending on replacing your current optical drive? The DRU500A is a very attractive deal since it supports both DVD-RW and DVD+RW formats.

The firewire option is attractive because you can easily move it from computer to computer, but you might find a lack of support in a lot of current software.