Join now - be part of our community!

incorrect length shown in a video file

smsmasters
Visitor

incorrect length shown in a video file

hello. i have this mpeg video file which is 15 mins long but when i play it in windows media player it shows it as 1min in length.i cannot play the video properly because it shows the incorrect length of the video file.
If i play the video file on a different computer it works fine....

please help me rectify this. cheers

23 REPLIES 23
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Sounds like the file might be corrupt after 1min, are you using the same media player on the other machine ?

smsmasters
Visitor

yes, same media player on the other machine. i tried other programs but it still shows 1min. should i reinstall my windows media player??

EzDoezIt
Visitor

If you used multiple media player programs on the problem machine and they all exhibited the same problem then I would hazard a a guess that your problem is with the codec.

Removing and re-installing video codecs is a pain! You can find info at the Microsoft Windows support site.

kee-lo_

Agreed Eddie :slight_smile:

Sounds like a corrupt codec :slight_frown: what a pain :slight_frown:

smsmasters
Visitor

pls help me. im not sure what to do next. how do i remove the codecs? if i reinstall windows media player will it fix the problem?

kee-lo_

What type of file is it?
In the meantime, check this explanation of codecs out.

smsmasters
Visitor

its a .mpeg file.

kee-lo_

Try re-installing Windows Media Player

smsmasters
Visitor

ok, ill wait for windows media player 9 to get released. it's gonna be releases on january 7 :smileygrin: i will install it then. ill u know how it goes on. if it doesnt work what else shall i try??

cheers