Join now - be part of our community!

Notification sounds not working

SOLVED
magpiemariner
Visitor

Notification sounds not working

My wife's phone is not making sounds when SMS etc received, nor is it showing the icon in the notification bar. I have gone through all the settings I could find and made sure a sound is selected & the proper boxes are ticked; I copied from the settings on my phone, also an Xperia SP bought at the same time as hers. Mine works fine, hers does not. The SMS shows up when she opens the app, but no notifications. Her ring tone works when a call comes through and we hear the sound when selecting a tone in settings. Any clues will be gratefully received. Thanks.
46 REPLIES 46
ArticularCoder2
Visitor

I think you've got to tell the phone how important messaging is to you. It will probably be defaulted to Medium (No Sound).

Navigate to:- Apps -> Settings -> Apps & Notifications -> Configure Notifications -> Notifications -> Messaging -> Categories -> Importance

Set importance as high or urgent and you will be able to assign sounds to messaging notifications

NOBACKUPUSELESP
Visitor

There is serious bug in Sony mobile software notification sound desapear and only by restarting mobile will return. I have lost many important call due to this bug. Advise from Sony is to restart a phone and wait until same problem happens again, how crazy is that. I have given up and purchased Samsung never same problem.

jg043
Visitor

On my stupid phone under show notifications there is a button labled "behavior".  Somehow this got turned to "no Sound".  tunred to "make sound and pop on screen".  This kinda works.  Yes AT LAST it makes the notification sound and vibrates, but no it does not pop up on screen.  

Are all phones so frustrating to get to work???  I would not say the software on my Sony phone is user freindly.  

Niki4a
Visitor

The same problem. I'm using a Xperia 10. No notification sound, just vibration since 20.03.2020! I did the actions that you say, but no change! Something new from your side? Thanks in advance

pressefr
Contributor

@Niki4a wrote:

The same problem. I'm using a Xperia 10. No notification sound, just vibration since 20.03.2020! I did the actions that you say, but no change! Something new from your side? Thanks in advance

I had the Xperia 10 Plus, have you tried picking a random mp3 for your notification sound? You can use any short mp3. I can offer the sounds I use; https://soundcloud.com/pressefr Sony Bing and Sony Alpha. 

Check Do Not Disturb Settings; and Schedules

Be sure to check your volume settings from the home screen. Just volume up or down. Then click settings.Screenshot_20200325-132419.png

Niki4a
Visitor

I did it, but no effect. The same... Just a little bit of vibration, don't show me a message, just light up.

Niki4a
Visitor

Something new! What do you think about "wipe cash"? 

Regards