Join now - be part of our community!

STR-DN1080 - Clicking / Popping Sound Dolby Atmos

LucidSFX
New

STR-DN1080 - Clicking / Popping Sound Dolby Atmos

I have been trying to find a solution to this issue online to no avail. There is this seemingly random clicking sound from the right speakers. (ex: high pitched pop, digital, clipping) when playing Atmos encoded videos. I have the receiver hooked up to my XBR65X950G with HDMI. Clearing the receiver data with the power on cycle hold didn't solve the issue. Some thought it was the AutoCal sound optimizations...which wasn't the culprit. I am playing Atmos from Netflix, Disney+. Both have the same results. Some mention that this is an inherent issue with the transformer switching?? Not sure this is the case unless the transformers are constantly switching on and off without manual interruption.

Background:

1) Could be a crappy HDMI cable (eARC) maybe the audio return is clipping from data loss to the receiver from the TV? I am pretty sure I do not have a Premium Certified HDMI cable at 18Gbps. Cable run is less than 15ft. Non active HDMI. I am thinking to replace the cable with a certified premium but I also think that that failure would be total failure and not random clicks and pops. That or also the sound issue may come out of all channels.

2) I am using CL2 heavy gauge speaker wires which I had also used banana plugs on. I did try redoing the cable connection to the pin plugs on the speaker connection. I didn't try the banana plug end where it connects to the receiver yet. WIll try this at some point.

Anyway, I am not exactly sure where to start looking first. I only have Nintendo Switch plugged into the receiver and when I am using it there aren't any sound issues as described above. I also don't notice the issue with NON-ATMOS videos but is does occur with NON-ATMOS 5.1 sound formats.

Thoughts?

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi LucidSFX

Welcome to the Community. 

You could try contacting 
Sony Support about this to see what they suggest.

Thanks,

Pascale