Join now - be part of our community!

Question for HX9V owners

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Amlocks
Visitor

Question for HX9V owners

According to Sony support today the HX9V will save each image as HX00001 etc but looking on these forums it seems like they are DSC00001

Is this correct and can it be changed?

I already have DSC00001 to DSC09999 and then duplicates up to DSC07000 odd from my DSC-V1 and really really do not want another camera which I have to rename every bloomin' picture when saving them.

I have about 20 folders filed according to the subject and will not accept having to use sub folders just because sony cannot count above 9999. I'll just avoid Sony which is a shame as the HX9 is top of the list at mo.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello Amlocks - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

The HX9V saves files with the DSC prefix as this is a Sony standard when it comes to naming image files. The downside of this is that, like you say, moving from one model of Sony to another will result in a number of duplicates!

One possibility for you, although not ideal, could be to use a piece of software that renames image files in 'bulk' i.e. give an entire folder (perhaps from your previous camera) a new default filename prefix by inserting the memory card into a USB card reader and then running a utility on your PC. Having taken a brief look on Google, Bulk Rename Utility is a piece of free software that may do the trick. It appears that you have a number of options for choosing how an entire folder of images is renamed.

Hope this helps,

Simon

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello Amlocks - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

The HX9V saves files with the DSC prefix as this is a Sony standard when it comes to naming image files. The downside of this is that, like you say, moving from one model of Sony to another will result in a number of duplicates!

One possibility for you, although not ideal, could be to use a piece of software that renames image files in 'bulk' i.e. give an entire folder (perhaps from your previous camera) a new default filename prefix by inserting the memory card into a USB card reader and then running a utility on your PC. Having taken a brief look on Google, Bulk Rename Utility is a piece of free software that may do the trick. It appears that you have a number of options for choosing how an entire folder of images is renamed.

Hope this helps,

Simon

Amlocks
Visitor

You beauty

That is a fantastic utility. I searched for something like it years ago. I will be able to rename all my old pics quickly and will make searches better.

New pics from my brand new HX9 will stay as DSC until I get to 9999 again.

Many thanks. Shame Sony technical helpline didn't know what file names their own cameras use but sony have now had a sale thanks to your help.