Join now - be part of our community!

DSC-TX9 distored proportions

SOLVED
profile.country.da_DK.title
Diny62
New

DSC-TX9 distored proportions

Question 1:

Taken pictures with my brandnew TX9, proportions are all wrong. Peoples heads are wider than they are high.It looks like objects near the side edges are too wide. How to avoid this?

Question 2:

It seems like the camera always is in ''wide'' mode after power on. Will there be a setting were the zoom is set when powered on, as it was by power off? (.. in order to avoid the distored proportions if they are due to the wide setting).

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Diny62
New

Hi  Watashiwatesh,

well, now I have become wiser, thanks to your detailled information. I have to make it as a fast procedure to zoom a little bit when I am close to objects.

Thanks for your afford.

Best regards,

Diny

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.en_GB.title
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

Could you possibly post a photo of this?

I know that this Cybershot does include a wide angle lens and one of the trade off even when looking at DSLR lenses is the distorsion. Since the lens has to bend more of the light to get more into the field of view, the distorsion is not something that can be corrected in camera.

My honest recommendation would be to try and zoom even just a bit or take a few steps further back (space depending) to keep people away from the edges.

There is wide angle correction software out there on the internet but not had any first hand experience on them myself.

As for an option where it defaults to wide mode, I think this is how the product has been designed. Previous models have not had an option where it would go straight to the telephoto end when switched on.

I hope that gives you some insight.

Diny62
New

Thank you for your answer.
As I take a lot of inside pictures with people around me, it will be difficult always to step backwards or zoom before taking a picture.
That is why I am very dissapointed with this camera. My old DSC-T9 did not have that problem of distortion.
I send you some examples her. I hope there can be done something permanent as a solution, otherwise I wasted my money by buying this Sony camera.
This globe is normally round.
Best regards
Diny Wick
globe tx9.JPG
profile.country.en_GB.title
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

Hey Diny

The photo pretty much sums up my theory.

Looking at the T9 vs the TX9, the focal range is pretty different.

DSC-T9 (35mm equiv zoom) - 38-114

DSX-TX9 (35mm equiv zoom) - 25-100

Since wider lenses will cause distorsions to squeeze more light in, it seems to be working as it should. Sadly this is one of the drawbacks which is why you have not experienced it before as the T9 couldnt zoom out as wide.

Looking at it, since you have about 13mm worth of difference, you could zoom in just a little bit and it may help reduce that. Other than that, I wouldnt be able to suggest any solution or setting to stop it since it is all down to the lens itself.

Diny62
New

Hi  Watashiwatesh,

well, now I have become wiser, thanks to your detailled information. I have to make it as a fast procedure to zoom a little bit when I am close to objects.

Thanks for your afford.

Best regards,

Diny