Join now - be part of our community!

Camera won't work. Lens just goes in en out a few times

SOLVED
profile.country.nl_NL.title
paweter53
Visitor

Camera won't work. Lens just goes in en out a few times

Suddenly, without any fall or other force, my camera won't work any more. When I switch it on the lens goes in and out three times and then there is a message on the display that says: "Turn the power off and on again". This of course doesn't work, it just starts the same lensmovement again. Viewing photo's I already made presents no problem, it's just that it won't take photo's anymore.

I reset the camera to no avail.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi paweter53,

Hmm sounds like you may need to contact either your retailer or Sony Support to arrange for a repair..:smileysad:

View solution in original post

paweter53
Visitor

You're completely right. I wouldn't buy a Sony again if this problem isn't solved. I previously bought a T-10 (very expensive at €380,-) which after 3 years had a lens problem too: it wouldn't focus properly anymore but sort of wobbled a bit. Sometimes this stopped after a while, but mostly I couldn't take any photos with it. Of course I reset it (as I already mentioned the only "solution"  Sony ever gives) but of course this didn't help at all. A solution I found on the internet (bang it against a wall a few times!) did actually solve the problem for a few months baut after that it started again. Of course the guarantee period had passed, repair was too expensive so I bought this new one.

On the internet there are lots of sites telling you about the recurring lens problems with Sony compactcamera lenses, except on the Sony site (naturally). It would be helpful if they freely admitted this problem instead of instructing you to reset the camera, and properly advise you (depending on the guarantee period): sent it to Sony or throw it away!

Message was edited by: paweter53

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.en_GB.title
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello paweter53 - welcome to the Sony Forums.

It does sound like there is an internal fault within the camera - how long have you had this particular model?

Thanks

Simon

paweter53
Visitor

Only about 6 months. I reset the camera (sony's standard solution to everything wrong with a camera), but of course that didn't help at all.

Thanks for your reply.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi paweter53,

Hmm sounds like you may need to contact either your retailer or Sony Support to arrange for a repair..:smileysad:

KCCC03
Visitor

My Cybershot has just done the exact same thing!

It has been suggested to me that it's not worth repairing!    I logged onto this site to see if there was any suggestions as to what might be wrong with it and your post describes exactly what is happening with my camera.

How do you reset the camera??

Mick2011
New

Hi KCCC03, welcome to the Sony Forums

This slideshow tutorial guides you through the process: How To Manually Reset A Digital Still Camera

Hope it helps

Cheers

Mick

Rosie1954
Visitor

I have the same problem, on a fully charged battery on a brand new Sony Cybershot DSC-W550 bought this morning.  I have followed the reset procedure and still the same problem.  I turn it on and the lens appears and then goes back straight in again.  Back to the shop it goes tomorrow.  Very disappointed, especially as it was highly recommended in the shop.

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello Rosie1954 - welcome to the Sony Forums.

If you don't want to go back into the store at first, you could try contacting Sony after-sales support first of all. For your particular camera, the contact details are located here:

http://support.sony-europe.com/dime/digistill/cyber/cyber.aspx?site=odw_en_GB&m=DSC-W550

They will be able to talk you through all of the available options before deciding whether or not it needs to be returned for a repair.

Thanks

Simon

Rosie1954
Visitor

Hi, thanks, I did phone Sony support.  Remember this is on the day I bought it on a fully charged battery.  They asked me to reset it, which I did.  It still showed the turn off and turn on message when switched on.  Not only that, but on taking it back to the store while it was lying on the customer service desk while the assistant was arranging my refund the camera had a mind of its own and was switching itself on and off without anyone even touching it!!!  Much as I would have liked a replacement or even another Sony camera I couldn't risk it so purchased another brand which is fine.  Shame because one bad buy clouds my judgement for future buys.  Just one of those things I suppose.  Thanks for your reply.

paweter53
Visitor

You're completely right. I wouldn't buy a Sony again if this problem isn't solved. I previously bought a T-10 (very expensive at €380,-) which after 3 years had a lens problem too: it wouldn't focus properly anymore but sort of wobbled a bit. Sometimes this stopped after a while, but mostly I couldn't take any photos with it. Of course I reset it (as I already mentioned the only "solution"  Sony ever gives) but of course this didn't help at all. A solution I found on the internet (bang it against a wall a few times!) did actually solve the problem for a few months baut after that it started again. Of course the guarantee period had passed, repair was too expensive so I bought this new one.

On the internet there are lots of sites telling you about the recurring lens problems with Sony compactcamera lenses, except on the Sony site (naturally). It would be helpful if they freely admitted this problem instead of instructing you to reset the camera, and properly advise you (depending on the guarantee period): sent it to Sony or throw it away!