Join now - be part of our community!

Why don't Sony honour their warranty on TVs purchased from Amazon?

profile.country.IE.title
podge3

Why don't Sony honour their warranty on TVs purchased from Amazon?

I purchased a Sony Android TV from Amazon in December 2015 and received a 5 year warranty from Sony. I have the warranty document with my name etc on it.

The TV has now developed a fault but Sony are refusing the warranty because I purchased from Amazon!!!

Needless to say I'm shocked that Sony would act like this. Anyone else have this problem?

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
Tektek12

After a year its not amazons problem.

If its within the 5 year warranty for sony then i would suggest contacting them again telling them you will be contacting the financial ombudsman about them not honoring the 5 year warranty and see what comes back.

If they still refuse contact the finacial ombudsman and tell them whats happened they then can handle this for you.

Make sure you have evidence and emails etc for the financial ombudsman.

They were brilliant for me and I got my money back.

Good luck

profile.country.IE.title
podge3

Thanks for the reply Tektek12.

Sony responded to a Facebook post and blamed Amazon 🙄. I'm shocked that a Global company like Sony would indulge in such shoddy practices. 

I'm not going to pursue this, life is too short. I'll just never buy a Sony product again and leave it at that. I have another Sony TV in the house but it'll be my last! I'm on the hunt for a replacement now for the faulty set and it WON'T be a Sony needless to say. 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@podge3 just to understand (it may be of no help to you): you have a faulty tv and a valid warranty but contacted Sony via Facebook? I' rather go to a support center....

profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

The paperwork the OP got with his warranty certificate or indeed that paperwork, will have details of what to do in the event of a claim.

It's those steps he should have taken, rather than go to Facebook

profile.country.IE.title
podge3

Hi rooobb & RottenFoxBreath

Just to clarify, I initially contacted Sony via email through the warranty link on their website.

They wasted my time for a week or so with sending off various pics, receipts etc only to be finally told that I had no warranty, despite the fact that I have a warranty document with all my details and the TVs details.

The nearest Sony centre is about 90 miles away from me, I'm not going to drive there to fight with Sony over a 4.5 year old TV. I just take it as a lesson learned and avoid Sony in the future.

I just posted on their Facebook page to vent a bit and maybe warn other customers.

profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

So, did you pay for the warranty?

I take it, it was a 1+4.

And you have it on the receipt, it's mentioned?

And the paperwork you got from Sony, does it have a date on it, or proof marks..you know, like your name, address, tv, warranty type, etc..

If it does, then surely you should be on the phone kicking up a stink, and not playing email tennis with the bots.

Or was it a warranty similar to this one: https://campaign.odw.sony-europe.com/mysony/3YG_certificate_v2_FINAL.pdf

Because if it was, it's Amazon you go through, not Sony.

profile.country.IE.title
podge3

I didn't pay for the warranty, it was a promotion run by Sony. I think it was for all TVs sold in the EU within a specific time period.

I sent off my TV details at the time to Sony and got back a warranty document from them with my postal details, TV serial number, expiry of warranty etc and details of what to do if the TV goes faulty.

I had forgotten this little detail - I'm living in Ireland and when I initially set off my details back in 2015, I was refused the warranty as Sony said that Ireland wasn't in the EU!!! When I pointed out that Ireland was a member of the EU, I got my warranty document.

Obviously I know now that the document is worthless. It seems that Sony will try and weasel out of any warranty claims with BS excuses i.e. you're not in the EU, you bought from Amazon etc

After they refused to fix the set, they actually sent me a "Sony Service Contract" cancellation email cancelling the 5 year warranty!! This is the sort of thing you would expect from Del-boy, not a global giant like Sony!

As far as I'm concerned, my warranty is(was!) with Sony. Amazon is only liable for a statutory  warranty period, which I think is 2 years for electronic goods in the EU. 

To finish this tale, I contacted Amazon. I had no real expectation of any kind of positive response but I am a longtime customer and purchase a lot from them. Amazon agreed to accept a return on the set and gave me a full refund, including the cost of returning.

If anyone from Sony is reading, this is how to deal with a loyal customer, not fob them off with some BS excuse. It would probably have cost very little to fix the TV and kept a lifetime Sony customer.

I have now purchased another TV from Amazon, obviously not a Sony, it'll arrive in a few days.

profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

Yeah, I said that before, as it was a warranty offer like the one I posted, it's Amazon you needed to get in touch with, nothing to do with Sony.

Even says it right there on the certificate:
"In the unlikely event that something does go wrong with your BRAVIA® TV, print out this
certificate and take it to your local Sony retailer"

Obviously with it being online you would scan/photo it, and send it to Amazon, if they needed, but it was Amazon all along you needed to contact, as your contract was with them, not Sony.

profile.country.IE.title
podge3

You might be correct, RFB, but the following is on my warranty document:

"..you can call our Customer Information Centre or e-mail us using the contact details referred to on
our website: http://www.sony.eu/ (Select your country or region/ Support/ Contact Us/ Get support contact).
Our Customer Service Department will provide you with full instructions and reasonable assistance for making
claims under this 5-Year Guarantee.!

Also in the Ts & Cs:

"2. What is provided
2.1 5-Year Guarantee
We will bear the cost of repairs to the Product, including parts and labour charges following mechanical
or electrical breakdown, from the date of purchase of the Product until expiry of five years after
purchase of the Product"

Doesn't really matter now anyway, I suppose.