Join now - be part of our community!

Totally Disable and Remove Google from my Bravia TV

Totally Disable and Remove Google from my Bravia TV

How can I TOTALLY remove Google from my Sony Bravia Ultra HD 4K smart TV? (XBR-55X81XCH)

No one told me when I bought the TV that Google was permanently installed in this TV and I could not set the TV up unless I activated a Google account in order to use the TV. The package does not indicate that this can not be used without Google. As the owner of this product I was not informed. I am very upset about it. Google also has a listening device called Google assist that can not be turned off even when the power is switched off. I tested it and it is running in the background. Its the evil version of Alexa. At least with Alexa you know what you have. But Google assist is listening to you when you think the tv is off... F- No- thank you! I need this app gone! Not disabled, GONE. Does anyone know how to do this?

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

Hi @AnneTV 

What TV model do you have now ?

And did you try to set up your Gmail account on the TV using your mobile phone for example if your Google account is registered on it?

profile.country.GB.title
cars0nz97screw
Explorer

Do a Factory Reset through the Settings>System>About>Reset>Factory Data Reset

Hit Erase Everything>Yes

Once the TV has been factory reset you will select your Language>Country or Region

It gives you two options to choose from, set up Google TV or Set up basic TV, Select Basic TV

Select your Wi-Fi Network, Enter PW for Wi-Fi

It will ask you to accept Google Terms of Service, Go ahead and select Accept (does not mean you will set up Google)

I unselect "Use Location" and "Help improve Google TV" then click Accept button at the top

Scroll down to the bottom of the Bravia Privacy Policy and Agree to all> Agree and proceed

Voice Recognition, select Next

Select all the ways you receive channels (Cable/satellite box AND OR Cable/Antenna) or Skip

Select the devices you would like to set up with your TV, Gives you options of AV Receivers, PlayStation, Projectors etc. etc. Must be connected and powered on, otherwise select "Connect Later"

Specify how your TV is positioned, Table-Top Stand or Wall Mount

Acoustic auto calibration, Next or Skip, your choice

Complete your TV Registration, Register using Google Account OR With other email, you can skip this step as well.

If you chose to register email address, you have a choice to choose to agree to receive marketing emails and send app usage data, you do not have to select them if you do not want to. Click "Proceed and Register TV

Apple Airplay and HomeKit, Click "Next"

Checking for updates

Samba Interactive TV gives you options to select, "Samba Interactive TV, Ad Personalization, Analytics and Measurement, Third Party Licensing" You do not have to choose any. Click "Save & Exit"

Accessibility features, Click "OK"

Setup Complete! Click "Done"

This will give you the standard Sony Apps, I.E. YouTube, Disney+, Netflix and Prime Video, nothing else.