Join now - be part of our community!

Sony XR-65X93J / Yamaha RX-V585 - No Dolby Atmos / DTS:X

profile.country.BG.title
Snuupy23
Explorer

Sony XR-65X93J / Yamaha RX-V585 - No Dolby Atmos / DTS:X

Hi guys,

I’m with the above setup but I cannot play Dolby Atmos/DTS:X via Bravia Core nor 4K remuxes.

The receiver in question is with HDCP 2.2, and it plays Atmos, DTS:X just fine via Nvidia Shield Pro or my Sony UBP-X800M2 player.

The same release that has DTS:X plays perfectly via UBP-X800M2, but it stays to PCM 2.0 if I play the same release from the Sony XR-65X93J.

My TV settings are:

eArc: Auto

Digital Audio Out: Auto 2

Dolby Digital Plus output

Pass through mode: Auto

I’m using HDMi 2.1 cable up to 8K

What might be the issue?

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.HR.title
DarkoD

Your receiver supports ARC only, you need eArc.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey Snuupy23, try changing the eARC mode to off if your receiver doesn't support eARC. 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Snuupy23 @HannahEd01 @DarkoD 

According to :-

https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/rx-v585/specs.html#product-tabs

HDMI eARC Yes (via future firmware update)

If this firmware update is available, and you have installed it, then you should get Dolby Atmos and DTS:X passed through from the HDMI inputs on the TV, or programmes with these audio settings played from capable apps or channels on the TV, as long as the TV is capable of handling these audio formats (at least for passthrough, which it is according to the Sony link below), is set for eARC, and is connected with a cable certified for HDMI plus Ethernet to an eARC-capable HDMI Out (yes, Out) on the RX-V585.

HDMI plus Ethernet, as the Ethernet strand is actually used for the e in eARC.

https://helpguide.sony.net/tv/iaep1/v1/en/04-04_04.html

Unless all of the above is true, you will only get ordinary DTS or Dolby Digital Plus, compressed, at best, over ARC. Plus, maybe, the compressed Dolby Atmos that Netflix provides, though it isn’t the same experience as the real uncompressed thing,

But if the TV or the source device can’t negotiate DTS:X down to DTS, or Dolby Atmos down to Dolby Digital, with or without the Plus, then you will get the dreaded PCM 2.0 (stereo) that you are seeing, the only fallback the TV can manage for audio out over ARC.

@Snuupy23, how does your setup match up to these requirements?

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.BG.title
Snuupy23
Explorer

Hi there!

My Yamaha receiver is with the latest update. All ports are HDCP 2.2, the HDMI in (user for ARC) is actual ARC, not eARC, BUT it is HDCP 2.2, which support Atmos and etc.
The cable is UGREEN 8K HDMI 2.1 48Gbps: https://www.amazon.de/-/en/UGREEN-Dynamic-Vision-eARC-VRR-HDCP2-3-Compatible-Monitor/dp/B08LQLY1MS/r...

I have Sony UBP-X800M2 and it plays Dolby Atmos/DTX X; Dolby Vision perfectly via Yamaha RX-V585 - so the Yamaha is capable for these formats. 
I cannot see the logic of the TV to require HDMI with Ethernet, because my cable is powerful enough to transfer the information, the receiver is capable (obviously)...

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Snuupy23 

Your cable can do these things, your TV can do these things, your receiver can do these things.

But ARC - can’t do these things.

Only eARC can, and you don’t have that on the receiver.

So while you can get all these advanced formats from devices directly plugged into the receiver, and while your TV can do them and your cable can do them, the only protocol your receiver can offer to the TV - ARC - can’t pass them.

You need to investigate if the promised eARC upgrade for your receiver ever materialised, and if so, obtain it and install it.

In the meantime, plug all your advanced devices directly into the receiver. This will handle the advanced high-bandwidth audio, and the HDCP 2.2 and your advanced HDMI cable will ensure that no-compromise video will be sent to the TV to be displayed there.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey Snuupy23, as I said, your receiver doesn't support eARC, which means it won't work as another receiver that supports it. 

Contact Yamaha's support and see if the update that royabrown2 talked about is available and update, only then you can say there's a problem if you're still not getting Dolby Atmos / DTS:X.

profile.country.BG.title
Snuupy23
Explorer

Same issue I have now with my new receiver TN-AN1000 which is a 8K and with eARC. Please advise.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Snuupy23 

If you followed @HannahEd01 ‘s advice to turn off eARC above, have you remembered to turn it back on with this new receiver?

But as video is pretty much a done deal, and there are all sorts of vagaries with audio, why not run the BD directly into the new amp?

profile.country.BG.title
Snuupy23
Explorer

Hi guys, 

eARC is on Auto on the TV. Audio output is on Auto 2, I’ve tried PCM and Auto 1 and it is with the same result.