Join now - be part of our community!

Sony TV Alexa skill no longer discovers and controls my Sony Bravia XH9296 Android TV

profile.country.GB.title
beastobadness

Sony TV Alexa skill no longer discovers and controls my Sony Bravia XH9296 Android TV

Just a disclaimer that this has happened before and I did manage to fix the issue using the same method. Also my TV is on the latest F/W and fully up to date. I realised the issue had returned because the TV didn't switch off with my goodnight routine at the end of the day. Problem is that the first time I reset everything returned to normal, this time it doesn't work and Alexa can not discover my TV.

What I have done...

On the TV...Cleared the data in app info for the 'TV Control For Smart Speakers' app and restarted the TV.

In Alexa account...Deleted the skill from my account which consequently unlinks the attached Sony account also.

Re-setup the TV with the Sony account and Alexa account by linking the account and re-adding the 'Sony TV' skill. At this point Alexa still can't see my TV.

I understand there was an Amazon Alexa outage recently also.

So I guess the question is...Is anyone else having these issues at this time to rule out whether it could be an Amazon issue or a Sony issue? Or is it just me?

Tags (2)
19 REPLIES 19
profile.country.GB.title
gbutt89
New

I'm having the same problem with an a84j I received yesterday. No amount of account or skill linking/unlinking/signing out/signing in/cache and data clearing/app reinstalling seems to work.

Alexa just cannot see this thing 😞

profile.country.GB.title
beastobadness

At least we can now rule out being alone with this issue.

Might be a bit early to say this but looks like the feature is broken server side, you would think billion dollar companies would do better.

profile.country.GB.title
LMActans
New

Same here, got home told Alexa to switch on my tv (55xh90), she "had trouble communicating) with  it. Here is what I did so far. Reset tv, removed tv from Alexa app, couldn't find it again, reset the skill, changed accounts, (btw if you do change accounts bloody skill after disabling automatically logs in to same account (last one I think) without telling you which one is currently logged in. To make sure I got both account on TV and Alexa set the same I used another phone and did the whole pairing process again. Reset apps on both TV and phone, cleared data including accounts, tried connecting over wi-fi instead of cable (couldn't connect btw) No success Alexa still does not see it. Tried Google speaker and it works fine. I'm so annoyed wasted 2 hours and I'm hesitant to do factory reset as I've spent a lot of time customizing my settings etc. Someone please help

profile.country.GB.title
beastobadness

I really don't think a factory reset is worth it. This is out of our hands, it's most likely an Amazon cloud service issue due to the app on the TV being without any version changes. IMO it's down to Amazon to fix this so I think it's just a waiting game.

We could maybe hit them up on the Amazon forums or their Reddit feed to see what's going on!

profile.country.GB.title
mogodon
Explorer

Yes it s**t the bed yesterday. Firstly stopped responding to voice messages, then routines then when I tried removing the skill to relink it can no longer find the TV.

I've fixed this before but this time no matter what I try it won't find the TV.  I've done all of the usual removing accounts / clearing data/cache / disabling/unlinking skill / trying google/amazon/sony accounts and matching them / renaming TV / even got rid of one of my Sony accounts just in case!

Was about to give up and thought I'll come here to see if there is an issue with the android tv app or alexa and hey presto I'm 10% less stressed!

Have Sony or Amazon pushed out an update that's broken this?

profile.country.GB.title
beastobadness

Thought I would try discovering the TV this morning and looks like it is fixed. TV was discovered straight away without issue. Definitely a server side issue.

profile.country.GB.title
gbutt89
New

It works for me as well! Although I had to go through from scratch again before it did

profile.country.GB.title
beastobadness

It always amazes how much of a PITA issues like this are. Down for only 2 days but I bet we weren't the only ones cursing at our TV's.

profile.country.GB.title
mogodon
Explorer

Can confirm that this is up and running again.

Can also confirm that I've managed to break my instance of Home Assistant while clearing out entities sent to Alexa. Nothing directly to do with Sony but I thought maybe Alexa was choking on too much data and hence not connecting to the TV!

I  ̶l̶o̶v̶e̶ hate Home automation!