Join now - be part of our community!

KD48A9 Android/Google TV UI update issue

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
cosmicwebb
Explorer

KD48A9 Android/Google TV UI update issue

Hi. So my issue is that after a few days of ownership of this new tv it updated so that my Home Screen changed to the updated Google TV recommendations banner. This however then reverted back to a plain background a few days later and never came back. I’ve tried factory reset and uninstalling the update for Android TV in the system Apps. Nothing makes a difference. I would love this feature back.

It looked like the first image in this article: 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.androidheadlines.com/2020/10/heres-how-you-can-install-google-tv-...

Any idea how I can get this working again?

Cheers! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Bishbash99
Explorer

I had the same thing happen to me but was when I had VPN turned on.  When I turned off the VPN the home screen reverted to the old format.  Have you used VPN as that would explain it?

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi cosmicwebb,

Usually you should be able to customize your home screen in the home screen settings of the menu.

The background only changes when some content has been selected (and provides a background image).

Cheers

Peter

profile.country.GB.title
cosmicwebb
Explorer

Hi Peter, thank you for the reply. This isn’t what I am looking for however. This isn’t a setting I can find. It’s more as if the Google/Android TV update that appeared after a few days has now disappeared and the Home Screen has reverted back to solid plain background with no cinematic style recommendations banner at the top. 

profile.country.GB.title
cosmicwebb
Explorer

Hello again, I would really love to understand the issue I have and how to get what I had working again with my Home Screen. Is there anything more I can do or any information I can provide?

Cheers 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@cosmicwebb 

Post a screenshot (the camera icon above) of what your screen looks like now it’s reverted.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I really don't understand what issue you are talking about. You tried, as per the article, to hack the Android TV launcher by sideloading the Google TV home launcher and you are asking why your hack doesn't work anymore? Or I get it wrong?

profile.country.GB.title
cosmicwebb
Explorer

Hi, no I did not attempt to hack anything. I certainly would not want that for my TV. I am saying that after a few days ownership I'm guessing an update applied a new style home screen as per this article and I then had the top banner advertised shows. https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/android-tv-update-now-features-trailers-on-the-home-screen/

However, after another few days it disappeared and now my screen looks like the below (reverted to when I first bought it). I would like it back and no amount of searching the settings or uninstalling the Android TV update so that it may reinstall itself works. 

Any help is super appreciated. Cheers! 

IMG_3705.jpg

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

This is the standard Android TV launcher and you have to leave with it until Google will decide to change it and adopt the Google TV one

profile.country.GB.title
Bishbash99
Explorer

I had the same thing happen to me but was when I had VPN turned on.  When I turned off the VPN the home screen reverted to the old format.  Have you used VPN as that would explain it?

profile.country.GB.title
Sirch777
Explorer

THANK YOU!!!   - -jeezz this was racking my brain for days.
pesky VPN app i was running,   Got my old UI back on disabling it 👍