Join now - be part of our community!

KD-55S8005C - help needed to use HDD recording feature

atdrocker
Explorer

KD-55S8005C - help needed to use HDD recording feature

Hiya, I thought it'd be as easy as buy a HDD, plug it into a USB on the TV and record. But it isnt apparently.

It's a KD-55S8005C telly and Western Digital 2Tb HDD (Model: RWDBMWV0020BBK-EESN)
The tv detects the drive when plugged in and links the tv to the drive. So i think everything is fine there.

As far as I am aware, i am not allowed to have youview installed, if i want to use recording to hdd? So i dont have youview installed :grin:

When i hit guide on the remote, nothing happens.
In the action menu, i dont see any recording options.
So,
a) i cant see how to browse channels to find something to record
b) I cant see any way to record.

Please HELP! If you have a KD-55S8005C telly and you have got recording to work, please share your tips/setup.

The TV is connected to a Onkyo home sound system, and a XBONE. The tv signal goes into the XBONE via USB converter, then XBONE to Onkyo, then HDMI and Optical from Onkyo to TV. I dont see how that really affects not being able to record, i am sure its something simple, but i figure'd the more info the better.

20 REPLIES 20
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

what do you mean that the tv recognize the hdd and link it? do you go to the process of verifying and formatting the hdd?

if not, are you sure you have the latest fw (3.315 in UK)?

if everything is ok if you simply press the recording button on the remote it will start recording.

if this step works we can then discuss all the options you have to plan a recording via guide or tvsideview app...

atdrocker
Explorer

verifying and formatting the hdd - Done
latest fw (3.315 in UK) - Done

Hit record on the remote, and nothing.

I will try a different HDD. Theres nothing weird about having to use a specific USB port or anything is there?
also, THANKS for try to help me. very kind for you to take the time.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

you are welcome :wink: hope we find out the problem,

the problem could be on the size (and related power comsumption) of a large HDD if it doesn't have a separated power cable.. just guessing...

if you push the title list button on the remote what happens?

PS of course you can use only the specific usb rec port on the back of the tv... but if you didn't use it you could not register and format the hdd for th recording features

atdrocker
Explorer

I have put some 4k test footage on an identical HDD when i first got the TV so i could see 4K footage on it and telly would coped with the Drive and everything else perfectly so I am fairly certain that's not a problem.

I get off work in a hour, so i will push the title list button on the remote when i get home and report back.

I used the lowest USB port as that meant the cable didnt have to stretch.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

so please double check also that the usb port you are using is labelled for recording when you are back home

atdrocker
Explorer

i will do that too, i assumed at the time, any port is fine. It was only when i started to look into the problem i noticed someone else talking about a different sony bravia telly having only one dedicated recording USB port.

atdrocker
Explorer

im guessing the 1st thing i should notice when it is correct, is a record menu?

this is a image from the FAQ - and presumably will be the same for the KD-55S8005C 

Event_Duration_Extension_1.PNG

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

This is what you should see pressing the Title List button too (obviously empty).

What seems strange to me is that you said you formatted and verified the HDD: did you do it on the TV or are referring to some PC operations you did on the HDD? Sorry if it seems a stupid question...

atdrocker
Explorer

the tv formatted the HDD when i connected it and then 'paired it' or whatever the correct term is, to the telly