Join now - be part of our community!

KD-55A85 hdmi devices have a gradual sound delay

profile.country.GB.title
sschana88
Explorer

KD-55A85 hdmi devices have a gradual sound delay

I recently bought a brand new the KD-55A85 just over a month ago. I also have Sky Q UHD installed and plugged into the tv via HDMI. The only other device I have plugged in is a 3rd generation Apple TV via HDMI also. I do not have any sound bar or sound devices connected. 

The issue I am having is with sound delay which creeps in to the video within 5-10 minutes of watching the tv. The sound and video was perfectly fine in the morning when I came back to put the tv on in the afternoon, after a few minutes of watching the tv I started realising the sound was delayed from the video. As time went on it got worse and worse. If I restart the TV or the Sky Q box then it’s ok to begin with and then slowly the sound starts to delay again. This is the case on both the Sky Q box and the Apple TV. However, if I watch something via the Android TV apps then the sound is perfectly fine.

I have adjusted the sound settings and HDMI sound output on the Sky Q box settings, and also adjusted the sound settings on the TV as well, but have not been successful with fixing the sound delay. I have also changed my HDMI cables and that also has not resolved the issue. I connected the Sky mini box to the TV and that also produced the sound delay. 

Could someone please provide some potential solutions or a fix. I have got a Sky engineer coming out to check the Sky connections, box and dish but I have this nagging feeling the issue is with the tv and specifically the HDMI connections. 

Thanks. 

22 REPLIES 22
profile.country.GB.title
simonjgough
New

I have the same issue,it then cleared till this sunday?

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@sschana88 

An unlikely, but apparently effective, explanation and workaround can be found here:-

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/bravia-4k-tv-android-sky-q-2tb-tv-box/m-p/3714584#

I’d be interested to see if you have success with this.

Obviously still something for Sony to get fixed, though, longer-term.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.IE.title
MC_Hammer
Explorer

Quick follow up, after call to Sony support, recommendation was a factory reset. Less painful than the lagging every 10 minutes. 

Following reset every thing is now behaving again. Fingers crossed this doesn't happen again. Just saw thread around Tunein app maybe causing the issue. Didn't reinstall this on factory reset and as stated no recurrence so far. Thanks again for the all the updates. 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@MC_Hammer 

As a software developer, let me tell you about Factory Resets.

If the problem is a random glitch, cosmic ray hitting a chip, flipping a bit, say - Factory Reset puts it right, never happens again. Until the next supernova, possibly, and even then it’s unlikely to be the same problem.

But if the problem is a software bug, an uninitialised variable maybe, it’s just a matter of time until that piece of code gets visited again. Might be minutes, might be days, might be months.

So maybe the same problem again? Or maybe a rather different one, depending on whatever is in that uninitialised software location, which may be a different value from last time.

Bottom line:Factory Reset can be a temporary respite, rather than a fix. I give the gremlins 14 days before I start thinking they won’t come back; and even then, I can’t be quite sure.

profile.country.GB.title
sschana88
Explorer

Yes it is up to date, I have factory reset tv and everything is ok for a few days then the problem resurfaces. 

profile.country.GB.title
sschana88
Explorer

The software is up to date. I have even had Sky come out and replace the Sky Q box for a brand new one. So that Sky Q can be ruled out.

I factory reset the tv and it was ok for about a week then the problem resurfaced. I then reset the tv again but this time during setup I assigned the eARC/ARC HDMI input to the Sky Q box but after a few days the problem has started again.

Some people indicate that the issue could lie with Sony updating their software in readiness for PlayStation 5. I don’t have a gaming device connected to this tv so that should not effect me. But there is no further information or evidence for this theory.

Unless anyone can offer any other advise or insight my next step at the moment is looking more likely that I will contact the company that I bought the tv from (Curry’s) and request an exchange.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@sschana88 

You likely already have the advice and insight that you are looking for, but you give no indication if you have tried it?

Above (Sunday) I relayed the tip to delete the TuneIn app, which is proving effective for sufferers from this sync problem all over this Community.

Until you have tried this, I suggest you hold off returning the set to Curry’s.

Apparently, this app runs all the time in the background, consuming resources and dragging down the Audio/Video performance.

Something for Sony and/or TuneIn to fix longer-term, but the quick fix is to nuke the pesky app for the time being.

profile.country.GB.title
dshaji
Explorer

Hi All,

I have contacted Sony Support regarding the same issue that I am facing with sound cutting our while watching Prime videos and dreadful lip sync issues through VIRGIN TV.

Sony's customer support representative told me that they are aware of the problem but do not have an ETA for the fix. Apparently this impacts quite a few 2020 models according to Sony. Frustrated with their response as I am not able to watch any Live sports due to the lip sync issue.

I had also gone through the hassle of changing my HDMI cables to iron out the issue.

I hope Sony get their act together and find a fix for this ASAP.

Regards

Shaji Dhamodharan

profile.country.GB.title
sschana88
Explorer

@royabrown2 

I carried out this step shortly after sending my reply. I uninstalled the TuneIn app, then proceeded to unplug the TV from the mains and wait for a few minutes before plugging the TV back in and turning it on.

So far it seems ok, but time will tell. In the past it usually returns to normal for a few days and works as required with everything in sync. However, after a few days the sound delay kicks in. Hopefully uninstalling the TuneIn app works. I will keep you posted and confirm whether this resolved the issue. I will need to test for at least 1-2 weeks as last time it was ok for a week before the delay came back.

Thanks again for the replies.

profile.country.GB.title
dshaji
Explorer

Thanks. Will give it a shot and uninstall Tunein app.

Does anyone know when or Apple + app will be available on the Bravia 2020  models?