Join now - be part of our community!

Insurance Valuation - 4 year old Sony TV KD49X8309C,

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
GarlicBill

Insurance Valuation - 4 year old Sony TV KD49X8309C,

Fitting sound bar support brackets at back of TV using VESA Screw holes. Accidentally used too long screws and one of them has gone through the TV Printed Circuit Board. TV is write off. How to calculate an Insurance valuation?

TV is KAPUTTV is KAPUT

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
GarlicBill

No, a professional didn't put it up - This time I read the Manual !!

M6 x 12 mm screws - finger tight then further one quarter turn only.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi GarlicBill,

I would recommend to ask your insurance company.

Personally I would set the value to the amount you'll need to buy a similar product.

Cheers

Peter

profile.country.GB.title
RichardS1952
Explorer

If you have new for old cover under your house contents policy then it's the new replacement cost. If you don't it will be second hand replacement cost. Either will be subject to your policy excess. 

profile.country.GB.title
GarlicBill

Hello Peter,

Thanks for replying.

The insurance company offered a settlement after 5 days, TV was 4 years old. Repair company were asked to confirm in writing TV was a write off (£45 cost was reimbursed), saved the Insurer bringing in their Valuer. Insurer made 3 offers,  minus the £100 excess. Cash transfer, new 2 year old TV, Curry's voucher which was the best offer and which we accepted.

Had heard from various retailers that TV's on average last 5 years, when this is averaged out I would have been receiving about £60 after deducting the excess! It turned out the voucher was £100 less than the original cost of the TV then minus the excess. As we had decided to reduce the size from 49 inch to 43 we put a small amount to the settlement and bought a brand new 2020 Sony Bravia.

The improvements in TV's over 4 years is amazing and we are well pleased...

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@GarlicBill 

I hope you have allowed a bit over for a professional to put it up for you 😛

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
GarlicBill

No, a professional didn't put it up - This time I read the Manual !!

M6 x 12 mm screws - finger tight then further one quarter turn only.