Join now - be part of our community!

How do I stop recordings showing on the screen when they start

profile.country.GB.title
Malcolm42

How do I stop recordings showing on the screen when they start

How do I stop recordings appearing on the screen when  the TV starts recording my TV is an xr-55a80j 

17 REPLIES 17
profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Enthusiast

Yeah as it has two Digital terrestrial tuners then it would suggest one of the tuners has failed.

I wonder if doing a Factory Reset on the TV might kick it back into life, worth a try at least.

Hope he confirms or clarifies the model number.

profile.country.GB.title
Malcolm42

I actually think my TV is faulty as well, surely a company like Sony couldn't produce a TV that behaves like this,I have checked my model number and it's definitely right ie xr-55a80j. Regards Malcolm Smalley 

profile.country.GB.title
Malcolm42

Hopefully Sony can help. Regards Malcolm Smalley 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Malcolm42 

Try @daveyh64‘s suggestion of a Factory Reset before going any further, then. This is the first thing that Sony will ask you to do anyway.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
Malcolm42

Last week I fully reset the TV but it's made no difference to the recording problem. Regards Malcolm Smalley 

profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Enthusiast

So you have already done a full Factory Reset, could have told us that from the start,

would have saved us from suggesting things you have already done.

Are there any other things you have done to address the issue.

Tell us about the TV, did you buy it new, when did you buy it and where from.

Do you know if it is still under warranty. Some retailers offer multi year warranties.

Did you register it with Sony, did Sony offer you a 5 year warranty.

Did you notice this problem when you first bought the TV or is this something that has happened recently.

If you think you have tried all you can to rectify the issue then you may need to request a repair as it is looking like one of the tuners has failed.

Have you tried the TVs own Self Diagnostics. 

Click the Settings button on your remote control.

From the pop up menu scroll left and click on Settings.

Scroll to the bottom and click on Help & Feedback.

Now click on Help.

Click on Status & Diagnostics.

Click on Signal Diagnostics.

If you are only watching one channel and not recording another the diagnostics will check the signal

by default on Tuner A. (you have to scroll right down to the bottom of the list to see which tuner is activated.)

If you find that the TV is using Tuner B, then we can suppose Tuner A is not functioning.

This next procedure probably will not work for you as you cannot switch channels whilst recording

but this is what I would do to test both tuners.

Set up a recording within the TV guide. For example Channel 4 HD. Choose something that is due to start soon.

Now select another channel to view, this must be a channel broadcast on a different multiplex (mux).

For example something on the Dave channel.

Whilst viewing the programme on Dave go to the Signal Diagnostics it should show that signal is on

Tuner A.

Exit the diagnostics and with the recording in progress switch the TV over to Channel 4HD

Go back to Signal Diagnostics scroll to the bottom and should confirm that Tuner B is being used.

As I say though this will not work for you as you are unable to switch channels whilst recording.

Also try the Self Diagnostics to see if it gives your TV a clean bill of health, not sure if this test the tuners though.

Perhaps royabrown2. has more information on how you could perhaps check if both tuners are working or not.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@daveyh64 @Malcolm42 

Alas not, my pre-2020 single-tuner Sony Android TV is becoming less and less relevant to issues with more current models, and the freebie van from Sony doesn’t seem to get up the hill to where I live 😛

So all my experience with twin tuners is actually garnered from my YouView boxes; some of it is relevant and some not. e.g. I envy your Sony TV being able to tell you which of its twin tuners is in use for what, something YouView boxes don’t reveal 😢

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi Malcolm42, your TV supports recording a channel while watching another, but, models with 2 tuners allow you to record an encrypted (Pay) channel and watch any free channel while recording. However, if you are recording a free channel, you cannot watch an encrypted (Pay) channel at the same time. Maybe that's what's happening? 

We need more info here. 

What are you recording? Digital? 

What are you trying to watch? Other free digital channels? Apps? YouView? Freesat?

What's your setup?