Join now - be part of our community!

HDD problems KD32W800

profile.country.GB.title
brhalli49
Explorer

HDD problems KD32W800

I have the Sony 32” Android tv which is supposed to permit pause and recording via a HDD.

I have fitted a Toshiba “plug and play” 1 terrabyte NTFS drive which was formatted as a non-removable drive which invites me to transfer apps (which I don’t want to do) which I assume means that it has been recognised. However, when I try and pause a TV programme or record a live programme or from the EPG I get a message saying the drive isn’t ready.  

Can anyone advise me on what further steps I can take to use the HDD drive as intended?

thanks in anticipation.

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Enthusiast

At the moment your external HDD is being recognised as a storage device only, and that is why you can

store apps on it. To record on the HD it needs to be register with the TV as a recording device.

Usually on Sony TVs there is only one USB port that can be used for HDD recording and is labeled as such.

Have you connected the Toshiba HDD to the USB HDD recording port.

If so the TV will recognise the HDD and on screen you will be offered the chance to register the device with this TV for recording.

If you do not see the on screen prompt you can go through the Settings menu on the TV to register the HDD as a recording device for your TV.

For Example, this is the path in my Sony TVs Settings (which may differ to your TV settings)

Press the Settings button on the remote control.

Select Settings> Channel & Inputs> Recording Device Setup> HDD Registration.

Click on the link below to the Sony Support page for your TV,

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs-android-/kd-32w800/manuals

Click on the Help guide (Web Manual) dated 21/11/22 you can then navigate the pages to get more information on

Recording and Pause TV.

profile.country.GB.title
brhalli49
Explorer

Thanks Davey, that makes sense.

I did originally have the the HDD connected to another port but after initial research I found the correct port but with the same results.

I’ve looked at all available settings and the option to register the HDD isn’t visible on my model.  The manual doesn’t offer any suggestions either.

If necessary I could do a factory reset (I’ve tried a reboot with no success) but I’m reluctant to do that as some of my APKs may no longer be available.

profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Enthusiast

Have you looked at the online manual I posted a link too.

Click on the link above, then click on Watching TV and then Recording & Pause TV.

Looking at the specifications for your TV the USB ports only read FAT or FAT 32 formatted drives.

On your PC or Mac reformat the Toshiba HDD to FAT 32 on a Master Boot Record partition scheme.

profile.country.GB.title
brhalli49
Explorer

Thanks for your patience.

I did look at the manual you linked but couldn’t find anything about registering the hdd.

I had read elsewhere that the newer KD32w800 models were compatible with ntfs but I’ll try re-formatting.  

unfortunately I don’t have access to my Mac or PC at present but that’s my problem.  I’ll repost after I’ve sorted it to let readers know how I got on.

Thanks again.

profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Enthusiast

Okay try this link,

https://helpguide.sony.net/tv/iaepm1/v1/en/4_6.html

read all three topics

profile.country.GB.title
brhalli49
Explorer

Thanks for the advice, problem solved. This is how

I found an old laptop (Windows XP) and tried to reformat the disk to fat32 but it wouldn’t let me reformat it. I took it to a repair shop, same thing.

I them reconnected it to TV, changed it to removable storage, removed it, reformatted it to Fat32 on the laptop,  reconnected with the TV and it then installed as a removable hdd.

I then got some proper advice from Sony via this link.

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs-android-/kd-32w800/article...

Hope this can help others and my thanks to Davey for his patience.