Join now - be part of our community!

Cannot view Netflix Ultra HD 4K

profile.country.GB.title
Derek66
Explorer

Cannot view Netflix Ultra HD 4K

Hi my first post !  I have a KD 49 XG 9005 android tv. We have the Premium Netflix plan and have settings to " high " so that 4K etc will be broadcast. TV is connected via ethernet cable and we have download speeds of approx 40 MBs. If we choose to watch a Dolby Vision film, and I go to Picture Display it shows that HDR is being broadcast. If on the other hand we select a 4k Ultra HD film, and I go to Display settings there is no HDR displayed. The picture quality is most definitely  not in 4K. I have updated the TV firmware but still no luck. Any advice / help would be very much appreciated, thanks Derek.

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

Didn't Netflix reduce the content load due to the Covid-19 goings on, to reduce broadband loads worldwide.

It may be that, it may not, but theres a couple of articles here: 

https://variety.com/2020/digital/news/netflix-degrading-hd-video-quality-europe-bit-rates-1234605316...

https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/15/21259954/netflix-streaming-quality-europe-bitrate-pandemic#:~:tex...

profile.country.GB.title
Derek66
Explorer

thank you. I was not aware of those issues with Netflix

profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

On the Netflix app if you press the “i” information button on the remote when playing a movie /show it tells you the resolution which for 4k will be 2160. The stream rate during lockdown has been 7.62Mbps max whether HDR or non HDR 4K, but before lockdown was normally about 15Mbps. 

Netflix are meant to be restoring stream quality in the UK now so it will hopefully increase sometime soon

profile.country.GB.title
Derek66
Explorer

Many thanks. I will check that when I get home this evening and hopefully all is back up working in full soon

profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

Just tried a 4k film in netflix and it slowly climbed to 2160 resolution and then stream went past the lockdown standard 7.62Mbps and got to 15.xxMbps so looks like VM Netflix streaming is now back to pre lockdown quality