Join now - be part of our community!

Brand New July 17 manufactured 48 inch "everything" except EPG

pgkemps
New

Brand New July 17 manufactured 48 inch "everything" except EPG

Including 2 supposedly freesat tuners, biut now think one is only Freeview 

(Some of the blame is attached to the supplier for not having complete product knowledge)

Plenty of online research prior to purchase about TV's - in general - to find out about new technology (Im knocking on a bit)

We built a brand new house, so we might have expected some technology isto be redundant eg TV aerials and that you just use the latest, as with digital "Why would you need an aerial, and not just a dish?"

So the TV has a beautiful picture, beautiful sound with Sound Stage, and looks good. What has gone wrong?

Wanted second tuner to record another channel, as you would with Sky plus - a stated must have. EPG would allow you to easily find your preferred prgrams to record

However as I have now discovered - in retrospect - that Sony dont do EPG!! On this forum and esewhere, but is this 2016? Is this a problem that has been known to exist for at least several years.The Sony Support line this morning told me to get an aerial, or plug in my old Freemans set top box??? And we wanted to "declutter" the house!

Is this not something that would take a Sony software engineer a day to fix? Is there any one else out there as mad as me and wants to make a huge fuss about getting Sony to pay immediate attention to this long term problem? 

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@pgkemps wrote:

Including 2 supposedly freesat tuners, biut now think one is only Freeview 

(Some of the blame is attached to the supplier for not having complete product knowledge)

Plenty of online research prior to purchase about TV's - in general - to find out about new technology (Im knocking on a bit)

We built a brand new house, so we might have expected some technology isto be redundant eg TV aerials and that you just use the latest, as with digital "Why would you need an aerial, and not just a dish?"

So the TV has a beautiful picture, beautiful sound with Sound Stage, and looks good. What has gone wrong?

Wanted second tuner to record another channel, as you would with Sky plus - a stated must have. EPG would allow you to easily find your preferred prgrams to record

However as I have now discovered - in retrospect - that Sony dont do EPG!! On this forum and esewhere, but is this 2016? Is this a problem that has been known to exist for at least several years.The Sony Support line this morning told me to get an aerial, or plug in my old Freemans set top box??? And we wanted to "declutter" the house!

Is this not something that would take a Sony software engineer a day to fix? Is there any one else out there as mad as me and wants to make a huge fuss about getting Sony to pay immediate attention to this long term problem? 

These aren't Freesat sets - they are just sets with satellite tuners. A subtle but important difference which escapes even many retailers..

So you do not get the Freesat EPG, just Now and Next, if you are lucky, And this is something well beyond the whit of an engineer to fix, in 24 hours or 24 weeks, as it needs for Sony to do a commercial deal with Freesat to licence their EPG before any engineer can begin to work on it

There are actually 4 tuners in the set - 2 satellite and 2 Freeview/YouView. Not a lot of use with no Freesat EPG for the one pair, and no aerial for the other pair, though.

If you have only just bought the set, then, depending on the retailer, you may have a honeymoon period to take it back in; if so, arrange for this, and ensure the set you replace it with - which will have to be a different make from Sony - does indeed have Freesat.

That is done on a goodwill basis; but if the word 'Freesat' was mentioned in the talk you had with a salesperson  when buying it, by you or them - other than the sales rep saying "It isn't Freesat", then you have been missold, and the retailer must put that right for you,.

i don't know what a Freemans box is - if you meant Freesat, fine, but if you meant Freeview, then it needs a terrestrial aerial anyway, but you don't need such a box, as the set will do it all once you plug a terrestrial aerial into it,

Note, though, that you may not get as many channels over Freeview as over Freesat, depending on where you live.

If you wanted Freesat, and expected Freesat, especially if you mentioned it at the time of buying, get the Sony carted away, and have the retailer bring you something that will do Freesat (Click for a link to the list).

Samsungs are my preference, but LGs are nice enough. The only Panasonics with Freesat are very big and expensive ones though. No Sonys, you will notice,

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @pgkemps

In addition to what royabrown says above (which is correct), would you mind posting or private messaging me the retailer that may have stated that this is a freesat TV.  This is because i can infom Sony, who can 'correct' the retailer.

Cheers