Join now - be part of our community!

BBC GOOD NEWS MESSAGE

profile.country.GB.title
graygerman

BBC GOOD NEWS MESSAGE

Hi all.

Well, the BBC has now finished work and has gone all HD disbanding the old sd channels which was causing the black screen with the stupid good news message.

Can anyone confirm if the message has gone on their tv, its still on mine everytime i change channel, i was wondering if a retune would get rid of it, i naturally assumed the message would be removed by freesat but its still there.  Has anyone done a retune?

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@graygerman 

I’ve been doing retunings all week, on my LG TVs, as they kept telling me the ‘Programme Map Has Changed’. These retune both Freeview and Freesat.

As far as I know, the BBC SD channels are untouched; the only difference is that 101, the BBC 1 HD channel, has now gone regional, based on your local transmitter, and now works like the SD BBC 1 channel works, regional, based on transmitter.

The only TV we regularly have Freesat on, because the Freeview doesn’t work on it (fault in the One Connect box, waiting to get another off eBay at a decent price) is a 2015 Samsung, which seems to make a decent fist of channel change following.

My recollection there is that we have had regional HD BBC 1 for ages past on it; so when you said Freesat, did you mean Freeview?

The only time we have ever seen that Good News message on an LG is when I deliberately tuned to the placeholder channel with it on, to check it out.

So I think Sony have got something wrong, if they are bringing it up all the time 😛

Re retuning, that’s an easy step; so I’m a bit puzzled why you don’t just try it for yourself?

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
graygerman

I havent tried to reune my FREESAT purely because i have my channels organised in a way that i want and enjoy and dont want to have to do it all over again if the GOOD NEWS message hasnt been removed as of yet.

Yes my Tv is a SONY freesat, so all other brands are probably doing things differently to Sony, the idea of this work by BBC which has been ongoing since the backend of 2022 was to get rid of the SD channels which are going to be turned of and replaced completely by all BBC channels in HD only, that was their goal so those with sd channels still active, will eventually lose them.

The work was completed by the end of february 2023, however the black screen message on my SONY is still present and its now May, which is why i have posted.

If somebody confirms a retune gets rid of the message now then i will retune, all good, but just because im lazy id sooner wait and see if someone has done this ha ha.

If a retune doesnt remove the message then i guess itll be an update from Sony, which i thought wouldnt be the case, surely its something that could simply be removed without updates.

As for what channel sits where on the list, thats not important as i reorganise them anyway, its just the annoying message weve been seeing for the last 6 months id like to see gone.

Thanks for the reply, can anyone on Freesat Sony confirm if they still have this message?

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@graygerman 

Thanks; I understand your reasons now. My Samsung doesn’t let me renumber, or even reorder, the Freesat channels, so I work off a favourites list; I hope the Samsung would retain these if a retuned, but I haven’t tried it.

Perhaps I shouldn’t have assumed that what you said applied to Freeview as well; I see the situation is quite different on Freesat, and indeed, there are now no SD BBC channels to be had there.

But both TVs, though not Sony, nor bothering me with the 799 channel message, still have it there, on both Freesat and Freeview, after a retune; so if it’s presence is all it takes, don’t retune just yet.

Though as you say, you need someone with a Sony with the problem to try a retune, as maybe the issue will now stop even though the channel is still there.

I did find one interesting thing while poking about; there’s a channel 998, not in my EPG, that seems to be a Freesat test channel/showcase for UHD broadcasting, so perhaps we have that to look forward to.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
graygerman

Thanks,  i guess ill just have to sit back and wait,  just a bit odd the message still showing.