Join now - be part of our community!

Android 8.0 Oreo/ 9.0 Pie

profile.country.GB.title
zlays84

Android 8.0 Oreo/ 9.0 Pie

Is it OK to expect Android Oreo on 2017 Sony Android TVs?

641 REPLIES 641
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I am sorry but even Samsung and lg are non in control of what any app/service owner like netflix will do. It is all down to money.
profile.country.SE.title
raXXuz
Explorer

Yes they are, the compatibility of the latest version of the apps. After that it is up to the service provider but this means that the TV supplier has done what they can. I expect the same from Sony. It is sad that they can't secure this even for the premium line.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I'm sorry, I thought I was clear about it. Netflix is developed by Netflix. It is up to them to guarantee the porting to any platform. Obviously there are interests on both sides.

Other example, on any platform Google retired the youtube app from any platform (including sony) beyond 2012/2011

It has nothing to do with Pie or Oreo or Tizen or WebOs. Then if you feel that your 2019 TV is outdated in 2020 even if everything is working as the year before I cannot say nothing to convince you. 

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

@rooobb  schrieb:
I don't want to engage a discussion on a comparison to different os side by side especially on this thread and even if I am pretty sure that anybody can tell the difference between an ips and an oled LG produces also oled.

What I wanted to say was that people do care more about a well integrated product than the last percent in image quality, at least when I look at my family and friends. WebOS has all the necessary features from day one and they usually work. If I look at how long it took to get a standard thing like Prime Video working properly on BRAVIA. Severe stuttering and audio dropouts for well over two years.

your parent model should be a 2019 model since none of the previous one will be update with airplay support

Indeed. LG is however bringing AirPlay2 also to 2018 models, see here.

Sony's too

Sony is only bringing AirPlay2 to some high-end models from 2019 which are based on new UR1/UR2 platform.

So as forgot any alternate player like kodi

Most of my family and friends don't even know what a Kodi is...

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@Kuschelmonschter  ha scritto:

@rooobb  schrieb:
I don't want to engage a discussion on a comparison to different os side by side especially on this thread and even if I am pretty sure that anybody can tell the difference between an ips and an oled LG produces also oled.

What I wanted to say was that people do care more about a well integrated product than the last percent in image quality, at least when I look at my family and friends. WebOS has all the necessary features from day one and they usually work. If I look at how long it took to get a standard thing like Prime Video working properly on BRAVIA. Severe stuttering and audio dropouts for well over two years.

Unfortunately each brand as its own problem. If you look at LG community there are even ther issues all over (from panel blinking, to Alexa not implemented in Italy, you name it). I may agree Webos could be more intuitive then Android (even if I hate the magic remote) but as you said it depends on the user type. I think you yourself would be bored by WebOS :wink:

your parent model should be a 2019 model since none of the previous one will be update with airplay support

Indeed. LG is however bringing AirPlay2 also to 2018 models, see here.

Unfortunately there is no official confirmation from LG itself https://www.lg.com/ca_en/support/product-help/CT20098005-20151261863690-others

Sony's too

Sony is only bringing AirPlay2 to some high-end models from 2019 which are based on new UR1/UR2 platform.

But you still can implement it by yourself via an app. Likewise you may add Bluetooth A2DP support even on 2016 models which officially  do not support it. 

So as forgot any alternate player like kodi

Most of my family and friends don't even know what a Kodi is...

As before, it depends on user types, I agree on that. That's why I prefer it, and I guess you too

profile.country.GB.title
Mrhappy37

Hi Rooobb, what app can I use on my xf9005 to get apple airplay

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

One of the most used is airscreen (for which there is a limited free version and a licensed one without limitation)

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

The app thing is bogus. You can't AirPlay iTunes or Apple TV+ stuff for example, so DRM protected content.

profile.country.GR.title
npapanik
profile.country.GB.title
Jon1186
Explorer

Hi @Kuschelmonschter , noticed this and wondered whether it's a potential solution for all over us stuck with older Android TV's that can't be updated due to the older mediatek chipset? 

Curious to know your thoughts, since you speak so knowledgeably on this forum.

TLDR: It's a new Chromecast Ultra that will run Android itself.