Join now - be part of our community!

Android 8.0 Oreo/ 9.0 Pie

profile.country.GB.title
zlays84

Android 8.0 Oreo/ 9.0 Pie

Is it OK to expect Android Oreo on 2017 Sony Android TVs?

641 REPLIES 641
profile.country.GR.title
zer0ner0

@Hakki.Gulmez wrote:

Hi friends, I had problems after the Oreo update, but I changed my television to the factory settings and now it plays videos smoothly both via USB and via DLNA.

@zlays84 wrote:

I really don't understand I'm testing all my 4K demo videos with high bitrate and al movies everything on external hdd (not even usb 3.0 but the older 2.0) and everything is working flawlessly...

I did a factory reset after update...

So, apart from the audio system problem that seems not to have a definite working solution yet, could anyone else confirm that a factory reset resolves the 4K lagging problem with the built-in video app as the above posts suggest?

profile.country.IT.title
marcobremb

Find an incredible bug. 

If you have bluetooth heaphones on you CAN'T view Netflix contents in 4K or HDR. only 1080p. TERRIBLE

profile.country.GB.title
ch3nks

just installed the update on my KD-43XD8305.

disappointed to see that when you press "home" it doesn't continue to play the current source in the background whilst the menu is on-screen. Android 7.x did that and meant you didn't have to completely lose what was on-screen just to browse the main menu.

profile.country.GB.title
carly1981
Explorer

I've updated my Android TV today and it updated fine but keeps restarting the tv if it connects to the internet. If i unplug ethernet and delete from wi-fi the tv works fine. Soon as you connect, even tried using my phone as a hotspot, and soon as it connects it restarts the TV. I've been on chat today with Sony and they are investigating further. Its got to be a bug in the new Oreo software update. Pretty annoying when I stream most of my tv.

profile.country.GB.title
stevenhenry

I know the XD93 wont get Oreo but does anyone know if it is going to get another firmware update? The US version got one in November

profile.country.GR.title
Labros7545
Explorer

I have the 43xd8305 and I will wait for the automatic update.Apart the known issues you have mentioned already what about the picture quality?Is it better than Android 7, worse, the same?

profile.country.GB.title
ch3nks

@Labros7545 wrote:

I have the 43xd8305 and I will wait for the automatic update.Apart the known issues you have mentioned already what about the picture quality?Is it better than Android 7, worse, the same?

a software update should have zero impact on picture quality. the hardware hasn't changed.

profile.country.GB.title
ch3nks

on my 43XD8305 i've found the google assistant integration to be sluggish at best.

pressing the button on the remote, sometimes the on-screen UI will display quickly, other things takes a good few seconds to appear. sometimes the audio dips to allow for voice to be heard, other times audio doesn't dip at all.

maybe it was like that on android 7.x as i never use it, but the user experience is pretty rubbish to be honest.

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@zlays84 wrote:

Definitely problem with sound!

I restarted my tv and sound came back on,started 4k dts hd movie and it started fine tried to switch to audio sistem to get clear audio passthrough and boom it crashed my tv and rebooted it!

Wow so even though this was reported US side, nothing done about it and bug remains. Glad I switched auto update off, I will be sticking with Android 7.0.

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@oneillb wrote:

I'm here in the UK, and I updated to Oreo this morning...

Now I have no BBC iPlayer... and it doesnt seem to be available in the app store either. Same for the other UK catchup apps.

----- sorry panic over... I'd disabled the sony select stuff on the new oreo home screen ... It's all in in there .

Do you need Youview enabled to get the catchup TV?