Join now - be part of our community!

Android 6.0.1 Safe Mode?

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Android 6.0.1 Safe Mode?

Is it possible to start the Android TV in Safe Mode? I have checked the instructions in:

https://sony-paa-pa-en-web--paa.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/129220

but they do not make any sense. It says that to enter in Safe Mode one must do a factory reset first. What's the point of entering Safe Mode after doing a factiry reset? No external apps are installed. Still, I tried without the factory reset (volume down after rebooting the tv) and it didn't work.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Oh, so the EU and Asian site give different instruction (and meaning) to the "tv reset". Still as I wrote I tried before posting just rebooting the tv (from the settings) and then holding volume down. A bit agi I tried again. Long pressing the power button to reboot the tv, and holding the volume when the animation starts (after the Sony logo) still nothing.

And now I finally managed to do it. These are the steps:

- Power off (actually, reboot) the tv hoding the power button in the remote (but I suppose any method to reboot would do)

- Skip the Sony logo (do nothing)

- There is a first Android animation. Wait for the screen to flash black, doing nothing

- The Android animation starts again, at that point hold volume down and keep holding it until Android ends booting.

You're now in Safe Mode. 

Thanks for your help!! :slight_smile:

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

The same instructions are also available on the EU support page:

http://sony-eur-eu-en-web--eur.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/110332/

Upon reading it, I too was scratching my head at "If you observe that the issue does not occur when Safe mode is turned on, you may consider to un-install the downloaded applications which may not be compatible with the Android TV"

Well surely resetting the TV will remove any 'downloaded' applications!

However when I went to the instructions on "How to reset an Android TV":

http://sony-eur-eu-en-web--eur.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/72691

They are referring to "Reboot" or "Soft Reset" NOT a factory reset. 

I will try these instructions on accessing "Safe Mode" later and get back to you.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Oh, so the EU and Asian site give different instruction (and meaning) to the "tv reset". Still as I wrote I tried before posting just rebooting the tv (from the settings) and then holding volume down. A bit agi I tried again. Long pressing the power button to reboot the tv, and holding the volume when the animation starts (after the Sony logo) still nothing.

And now I finally managed to do it. These are the steps:

- Power off (actually, reboot) the tv hoding the power button in the remote (but I suppose any method to reboot would do)

- Skip the Sony logo (do nothing)

- There is a first Android animation. Wait for the screen to flash black, doing nothing

- The Android animation starts again, at that point hold volume down and keep holding it until Android ends booting.

You're now in Safe Mode. 

Thanks for your help!! :slight_smile:

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Hi @Jecht_Sin

You suggest:

"Wait for the screen to flash black,..........."

We don't have this flash back on Android 5.1

The Android animation is continuous during boot.

[New]

Third try worked for me and got in Safe Mode. Vol(-) was hold and pressed just before Sony logo ends until the moment that the logo android appeared just after the animation.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Nope, it does make a black flash in mine. I managed to make it working like that. I also tried to press it at the Sony logo and it didn't work. I did an half dozen of tries, and after I managed to enter in Safe mode I tried again, this has been the way I could do it. But yeah, I did imagine it could work starting (and ending) holding volume down from different points.

Ok, out of curiosity I've tried your method now. It works as well!! But I confirm I had a "black flash". Twice this time, actually.

PS: About the black flash. I see now that you are on 5.1. I specified 6.0.1 in the thread, it may be different. Then I don't know, it may also change depending on the television model.

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Yes I saw your thread was for Marshmallow. I have noticed this "back flash" on Android 6 Xperia, between SONY and android logos.

The "good thing" is that it works on both of them !!!

I had never tried before although I suggested to people that had the "bootloop" issue.

I hope this will help some of them :slight_smile:

vogosa
New

Can we run a phone tracker on Android in this mode?