Join now - be part of our community!

AF8/A1 OLED TV Beware DIMMING

profile.country.IE.title
flashf1
Explorer

AF8/A1 OLED TV Beware DIMMING

This tv is excellent in so many ways but there is a massive flaw that Sony will describe as "normal & within specifications". When watching something with a static image on screen, for example football/soccer, were the score is always to the top right or left, the tv will gradually dim the entire screen to a horrible low brighntess level. This is well documented on various AV forums and see it first hand every time i watch football and to a lesser extent F1. The only way to get around this is to lower the peak luminance to LOW or OFF and then it is so dark you would be better with a 1990's CTR tv! The reason for this happening i think is ABSL, a protection "feature"; the problem is that it is way to aggresive and ruins watching football, the reason i bought my new €3899 65" tv. This had nothing to do with HDR or Dolby Vision, this is when watching normal terrestrial tv/sky box etc. Sony need to addres this in a firmware update.

It's a real shame because the tv is amazing, but until this is fixed i would recommend anyone that watches football or any field sports, F1 steers well clear of this TV.

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Sean_Mc

Hi there, 

Welcome to the Sony Community.

I can pass your feedback onto the team.  It might also be worth getting in touch with the support team here regarding this.

Best wishes,

Sean Mc

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

There already is a lengthy thread about it here.

profile.country.GB.title
dareaso
Explorer

I completely agree with these comments, After watching the world cup I had my tv exchanged but the new one is still the same. I have tried everything without success, endless emails to sony with no help.They keep saying they can't do anything without a video but it's not possible because it takes a few minutes. It's not just football, watching morning TV with the same image on the screen it does it again. The only success I have had is using the imax setting and turning peak luminance down, the picture is still bright and when it dims it is not as noticeable.

profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Contributor

This thread is three and a half years old and refers to an older model Sony TV.

Which Sony TV do you have is it the same TV as mentioned in the title of the thread or is it a new model

as might be surmised by you saying you had the TV exchanged, which makes me think you 

bought a new Sony TV before the World Cup but were disappointed with it dimming and

got an exchange to see if there was a fault in the first one.

I have a XR-42A90K which I bought before the World Cup and have no issues with it dimming.

You say you have tried everything without success, so what have you tried?

Go through all the settings on the TV and make sure any auto dimming features are switched off.

Make sure the light sensor is set to off, and depending on which model  check for any advanced

picture settings that may include auto dimming.