Join now - be part of our community!

49 XD7005 HDR?

Mrquimper
Explorer

49 XD7005 HDR?

I have just purchased a XD7005, it was advertised as a HDR TV. On reading up though it states that HDR will be implemented in a firmware update. How can I tell if this update has been released and if it hasn't when will it be?

22 REPLIES 22
Mrquimper
Explorer

Thanks, I have sent one too. I find it discussing that they can sell these TVs as HDR when it isn't at the point of sale. 

markygfaebburn
Explorer

Any idea when the HDR update is due to rollout for this TV?

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

I asked at Sony, no answer at this moment.

Manolo

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Marino.Manolo @Mrquimper @markygfaebburn

Hello all

Ii did indeed get an answer.  This model is capable of HDR.  (my info was out of date).  SonyUK has confirmed an update to introduce HDR around the end of September

Cheers

markygfaebburn
Explorer

Do you know if this'll make it HDR10? I'm getting a Xbox One Slim & that's only HDR10 compatible 

thanks

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

I think yes because Sony don't support Dolby Vision.

Manolo

markygfaebburn
Explorer

Many thanks. I'm torn between this (£799) & the LG 49UH850V £849 down from £1079)

I looked at the specs for this TV here http://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/ec7b632

it says the panel bit depth is 8 bit. Does that mean it won't support HDR 10 bit? Or does it depth mean something else. I want this TV but don't want to get it if it's not HDR 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jamesjensen wrote:

I looked at the specs for this TV here http://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/ec7b632

it says the panel bit depth is 8 bit. Does that mean it won't support HDR 10 bit? Or does it depth mean something else. I want this TV but don't want to get it if it's not HDR 10

Simple answer is NO.

HDR10 requires 10bit color depth.  Even though Sony did not sign up to the new labelling system, HDR10 would be classified as UltraHD Premium logo.

You must take into account that manufacturers produce various models at different price points, which means various features and specs will be raised or lowered to meet this price point.  The XD75/XD70 range are budget model 4K TVs.

I read this quote in an article on the TV

[quote]The new models all have 4K resolution and are ”HDR (high dynamic range) compatible” (XD75, XD70 and SD80 will receive a firmware update later). This means that the [B]TVs can receive and process HDR content but do not have the hardware to reproduce HDR like Sony’s flagship TVs.[/B][/quote]

I don't really understand the bit in bold. What's meant by it? Will it not be proper HDR?