Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
continentalgt187

Download went well (KD49X8305C) PIP/PAP seems to work OK, was surprised and pleased to find that I could watch SKY in one window and the TV tuner in another.

So far so good will try record tomorrow.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@oodles2do wrote:

@paulconvey

If you look at the profile it does look a lot like they're part of the Sony team:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/forums/recentpostspage/post-type/message/category-id/en/user-id/6210...

This one in particular:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/hi-fi-systems/str-dn1060-airplay-name/m-p/2113309#M2042

Hi Guys

Just to clarrify:

Community team (Sony) – some of the team from Sony may also pop in and say hi from time to time – keep your eyes peeled! These people are the only Sony employees that will post here. Usually they're admins and platform managers.

Cheers

oodles2do

Well, I've tried out the twin picture, seems to be poorly implemented compared to my 4 year old Sony TV that I still have upstairs.

For one, it seems to only be picture and picture, no picture in picture unless I've missed something. Also, you can't resize the windows using the remote within limits, or switch which screen is active without going into the action menu. You also can't seem to go from TV and activate the PAP to the HDMI, you have to be in the HDMI source.

Jimmyjamh
Explorer

This update seems to have resolved the clock losing time issue. Maybe I will keep

it after all. 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@paulconvey wrote:

Sure, firstly I apologise to "@Titis_0000Community Team", if he is an ordinary forum user.  Although I wasn't rude, the assumption was made based on his title and inside knowledge of Sony's patch release schedule.  I think that's fair.

I'm assuming that you know better.

Hi @paulconvey

i don't necessarily know better, I just know how to attribute.

You were actually quoting @Risc0n, and the quote from @Titis_0000, who is indeed a Sony rep, was nested within this, and you did not make it clear that you were referring to this - which you could have done by replying to  the earlier message directly - instead of which it seemed you were replying to the member whose posting you quoted. Especially as you made no substantive further quotation, beyond 'this', to say what you were referring to.

i hope we can all take steps to avoid such misunderstandings in future,

Having said which, you are of course quite right about @Titis_0000.

Sony parachute in and make a tiny nitpick about the ant in the corner, while the elephant in the room - Sony's abject failure either to get this series of televisions right or to recall them all, scrap them, and give purchasers something decent in their place, or at least a standard letter purchasers can show their retailer if they want a refund or a replacement - goes completely unremarked.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
scoopy6

OK, and reluctantly did a factory reset after installing the HDD update but my 900GB WD hdd with its own power supply was noticed as 'USB connected' but not recognised as an HDD when formatted as NTFS (according to one of Sony's linked faqs).

Then found this more specific and recent info from the email:-

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/article/121606
" Problems using your TV Hard Disk Drive (HDD)? Discover how to troubleshoot
....HDD drives must be formatted in FAT12, 16 or 32 or exFAT (no NTFS!). You can check via a HDD Performance check...." (- no that did not recognise the HDD at all, either)

Still did not work when quick-formatted as exFAT so now it's on an interminable full format, not much hope though, and after all that the EPG still flashes on and off unpredictably on entrance and exit from it, and I need to do all the wretched settings and disabling again too. moan moan

49X8309C in uk
profile.country.GB.title
sticklebricks
Explorer

I'll be installing tomorrow hopefully, has anyone with a sound bar seen an improvement with lip sync with the new firmware?

It's it also wise to factory reset after installing the update?

Thanks

Captain_WD
Explorer

Hey scoopy6,

What's the model of the WD drive? Have you checked if it's working properly? I would test the drive's health with WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool and see if the drive passes both the quick and the extended tests. 

Do you have other drives that you can test with the TV?

Captain_WD.

elraouk

Upgraded one TV yesterday, it has downloaded in the background and I set it to install as it went in to standby.  Took about 20 minutes to install and shut down the TV. 
Turned it back on and it took another 5 mins or so to update / optimise the apps before getting in to the home page.  All looked good.   Maybe half an hour total. 
Did a factory reset, which took another 10 minutes or so,  and reset most of my settings/disabled as much junk as possible  (the ones I could remember) and tested quickly with plex. 
All appears to be working, no noticeable difference to previous firmware in apart from the extra settings for late functions. Early days to see if it is more stable after a week without a  reboot. 
I remember the Feb update specifically mentioned leaving the set on for 30 mins after the update to optimise, was there a similar instruction for this firmware (didn't check update website this time, just did it ota). 
profile.country.GB.title
andipr

Well that was a bit of a disappointing update - I've been waiting for PIP / PAP for a long time and can't get it to work.

I don't use digital tuners or youview - all of my TV is via Sky HD box, so I can't test the PIP/PAP there, but does anyone how  to PIP/PAP two HDMI sources? I was expecting to do this but when using the action button I try and select the second source and it is greyed out in the list of source options.

And is there anyway to cast from a device in one window and have another window display a HDMI source?

My Model KD43X8309CBU