Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
petersincock

Well I have found my first issue with the new firmware. This is on a KDL43W805C .

I have a Sony amp (str-dh820) connected to HDMI 4 (arc) and connected to the amp is my sky+ box. After the update the TV said my sky was connected to hdmi1/mhl. Whenever I pressed the sky button it would jump from hdmi4 to hdmi1 and show no signal or connected device. Resent the bravia sync command but made no difference. I had to power cycle the TV and now it's back to as it should be. I have also turned off auto input change (mhl) in the bravia sync settings 

dataghost
Explorer

This TV is just absolutely pants, look at this:

https://youtu.be/NSUIeFd6OfA

What an absolute stammering wreck of an excuse for a TV

adyjay33

Yep... It looks like its the same issues as other Sony users have had or are still having.

Is this after the latest firmware released today or before?

KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
dataghost
Explorer

Yes it is.  It will never be fixed, just like I will never buy another Sony TV.  Their handling of this situation has been appauling.  Wish I had bought it from Amazon so I could have just sent it back without any hassles.  Its a sad state of affairs that I never try and use any of its 'smart' features due to the fact that it struggles with the basics that TV's since the beginning of time performed with ease.  It complete rubbish there really isnt any other word for it.  

I find myself laughing at its performance which is worse than a very cheap old Samsung Galaxy Ace Android 'smartphone' that my mum used to own years ago 😕

oodles2do

@dataghost

Where did you get the set from? I've got an exchange from John Lewis arriving on Thursday and they're taking my Sony at the same time. I bought the TV in September and after standing up to a skeptical representative on the phone I got an exchange sorted with no issues after speaking to a manager.

Other retailers such as Currys have taken a lot back too, so it's a well known, widespread issue that they all will know about and will all try and deny.

dataghost
Explorer

Hi There,

I bought mine from Currys, its an impulse buy that I have l lived to regret.  Should my first point of contact be with Sony to get them to arrange a refund?  There is no way on this earth I am running through diagnostics of any kind.  I am a technical analyst by trade so I wont be entertaining any basic troubleshooting steps!

oodles2do

@dataghost

Quite a few people on this forum have been given refunds up until very recently. I would definitely contact them, you'd need to contact Currys as your contract of sale is with them. If they try and pull any, contact Sony, just say you've done that and they're useless, offering poor generic troubleshooting problems.

I refused outright to do any troubleshooting that John Lewis tried to make me do, like a factory reset and then check for new software. I said, I've done a factory reset many times and I've got the latest software, and I'm not doing a reset because that'll temporarily make it much better.

If you struggle to get anywhere with the initial representative ask to speak to their manager and call them out on the fact that you know there are A LOT of cases of these sets being returned and you know that they know that.

I didn't need to push anymore than that, but a lot of others went with the not fit for purpose and sales of goods act route, and that got them the refund.

profile.country.GB.title
frogger38

Well updated.... Disabled Youview so I can now use HDD record. I must say it works OK as does PAP. I did have one event whilst exploring the Rec facility. The freeview picture went black, with sound. Had to do s restart. Pity that Youview is now redundant on the set as it was a selling point when I bought it. Shame also about the loss of 2 of the catchup apps. I hope these issues can be worked on. Otherwise so far so good, but I still have return authorised by retailer pending these updates.

Product is is Sony 2015 KDL 43W805C Android TV, UK Model with YouView, purchased Sept 2015.
profile.country.GB.title
rsebre

Hello all.:smileycool:

I have an X83C, and have been busy tinkering with it as much as possible.:smileyztele:

Did the update today here in the UK:smileyinfo:

After the update, I did a factory reset just to make sure it had set and it has. I'm exploring the new features.

I have enabled the developer functions on my set and have been debugging. I also have side loaded apps on to it which works fine. I now have access to the humble bundle store and the Amazon store, not just Google's Store.:smileyhappy:

I'm now having to make another USB 3.1 Superspeed xFAT Drive to store any recordings on.

I'm using a FAT3 USB for my side loading and debugging.

The programs we record on to our USB Drives become useless though once attached to a PC, so I'm looking through the tool set to see what I have that can decrypt it so its usable on another device.

It's been a busy day with my set. I'm hoping to install a custom Android boot rom next, after I've finished extracting this latest Firmware sys calls from the package. That way I don't have to put up with the hardware layer as I think its crap. I'm also pursuing the Google Speech Engine to see if I can get it to access sub sets. Allowing me just to say "Google - Sky1" and for the tv to turn to the correct channel. As its set now just to search the store, it should only take a rejig or two to get it to control my entire set.:smileyinfo:

The blurb that was with the firmware update in the Sony Support App states that big apps are on their way. I was so hoping for the Video Unlimited App to make an appearance today, but felt really let down again when the app hasn't updated again. Maybe next time. I'm adamant that I will get it. Don't care if I have to code one myself.:smileyshame_on_you:

Anyways, I thought I'd give you all a heads up to as what I've been doing.:smileyplus:

I'm still looking for a tear down of this set as it must already have a Bluetooth transmitter in it, which if I can gain access to next will allow me to use my bluetooth keyboard and mouse alnong side my bluetooth earphones. I know others have purchased a separate transmitter to this, but it must be built in to the set. The bluetooth stack also needs updating though, as several profiles are missing still.:smileyconfused:

Here's hoping that it becomes more stable as my X83C even after the update is still giving me error 504 when trying to update Google Play. But so far this is as bad as it's been,:smileywink:

Since the update so far, no crash's, black screens or sound pops.:smileyhappy:

Now just to develop the hardware layer interface a bit more and I'm sure it will turn out brilliantly.:smileytongue:

If I break my set by modifying the firmware/OS I will just send it back. It doesn't bother me. Dam thing hasn't been right since I've got it.....:smileyalert:

But it's a Sony:smileyztele::smileywin:

(If anybody at Sony is reading this, thank you for the job offer this week, but I've done enough firmwares for you now - and I'm looking forward to teaching this summer, so unfortunately cant take the job offer at present. Thanks again though)

Thanks everybody for contributing to the forum:smileytongue:

Kind regards:smileypeace:

Richard

oodles2do

@rsebre

Sounds like you're doing some very impressive stuff with the software in these TV's! I'm currently studying a Masters in Computer Science so I'm just getting to grips with programming at the moment. When you're debugging what kind of things are you picking up? Can you shed any light as to why these sets are so unoptimised? With my limited knowledge I suspect a memory leak issue, but that's only really because mine got slower over time.