Join now - be part of our community!

Dark mode

SOLVED
cycad
Visitor

Dark mode

My xz1 compact is running Android pie. It has dark mode for Google play and Instagram apps. However the Xperia 5 is also running Android pie but no dark mode for both apps. Why? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cycad
Visitor

@RottenFoxBreath wrote:

Set the theme to dark in settings, display, advanced, view and set theme to dark.

Go in to settings, system, advanced, developer options(remember you have to unlock that, Google it), and set night mode to on.

Then in your Google apps like messages, Chrome, maps, Google feed,etc set the theme to dark and it should be dark mode all the time 

* - maps needs to be set in-app, settings navigation settings, map display, and set it to dark.

It does work, I'm looking at the apps now, and they are all dark mode

It's works! Thanks a lot for the pointers!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Yekollu
Contributor

I think it is a server side switch.....I have dark mode on both Play and Instagram on my Xperia 5 but on my Xz1x it is only on Instagram and not on Play

cycad
Visitor

Hmmm.... How can we get it switched on? 😁

Asche
Visitor

Try this:

Settings > Display > Device Theme > Dark

Also, notice if your PlayStore and Instagram turns Dark in the evening. I noticed mine only doing it at night.

Hopefully this will be *fixed* when Android 10 comes.

cycad
Visitor

Thanks. I'm already using the dark theme from the setting. Still the same. Guess I'll have to wait for Android 10. 🙄

Asche
Visitor

GooglePlay (Play Games) actually have a separate settings to have the Dark mode enabled, you might want to check that.

Unless you meant GooglePlay Store, mine automatically switches to Dark Mode at night, usually around 7pm here in Singapore.

As for Instagram, since I don't really use this app, I haven't noticed it changing to Dark mode at night, will check later as it's only 3:30pm here.

Otherwise, yeah, Android 10 will fix everything as a system-wide Dark mode.

Asche
Visitor

Yup, confirmed, my Google PlayStore and Instagram turns Dark mode in the evening.

cycad
Visitor

@Asche wrote:

Yup, confirmed, my Google PlayStore and Instagram turns Dark mode in the evening.

Is it just by setting it to dark theme? I've set to dark theme but both apps don't switch to dark mode in the evening either. Weird. 

profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

Go into Settings - System - Advanced - Developers Settings, and set Night Mode to ON.

then in apps like maps, go into settings, navigation settings, and set night mode to on.

If you go into Google's apps and use dark or night mode then, it'll change Play Store, and Google feed, etc to dark permanently.

cycad
Visitor

@RottenFoxBreath wrote:

Go into Settings - System - Advanced - Developers Settings, and set Night Mode to ON.

then in apps like maps, go into settings, navigation settings, and set night mode to on.

If you go into Google's apps and use dark or night mode then, it'll change Play Store, and Google feed, etc to dark permanently.

Is there such a setting on Xperia 5? I can't find it. Besides, when I set to dark theme, why is the setting page still doesn't go dark?