Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Xperia 10 V not finding music on SD card

profile.country.GB.title
GregMcr

Sony Xperia 10 V not finding music on SD card

Hi all!

I've not long 'upgraded' to a Sony Xperia 10 V, but it's only showing me a very minimal amount of music from my SD card, and some music which I can see it won't play at all - "Cannot play song".

Now my SD card's in my new Xperia 10 V and the vast, vast majority of the music that was/is on it and totally playable on my Xperia XZ3 a couple of weeks ago seems to have disappeared. I can't immediately see any patterns as to why this has happened or why it's not happened to the minimal amount of music I can still listen to. I have tried dismounting and remounting the SD card but that hasn't done anything.

At the moment it's looking like I'll have to copy all my CD's to my laptop again (long story) then buy an SD card USB adapter to get the music on to my SD card before putting it back in my phone, as using a data transfer cable isn't working for some reason - my laptop recognises that a phone has attached to it but in the side menu in file explorer it shows up as called something else which isn't Sony Xperia 10 V or any derivative, and when clicking on it it says something along the lines of "there are no items in this folder", as if to say there's literally nothing on my phone.

Can anyone suggest anything at all that might get my music back without the absolute faff of having to do all the above?!

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
GregMcr

Update

Have now solved the issue of my laptop not fully recognising my phone. I can see all my music is still on my SD card, but I think the issue might be the file format.

I think the music my phone won't play or isn't 'finding' are WMA files which, after a quick Google, the Xperia 10 V doesn't support. The relatively minimal amount of music it is playing are MP3. Sooooooo... As I've got hundreds of albums, thousands of tracks etc that makes it a bit of a task to convert them all.

Can anyone recommend the most painless and free way of batch converting thousands of WMA files to MP3?!

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hi @GregMcr,

why not download an app which supports WMA files? I would recommend the VLC Media Player.

- Nic