Join now - be part of our community!

PCG-FX804 Battery life only 30-60 minutes

jwjwjw
Visitor

PCG-FX804 Battery life only 30-60 minutes

Hi,

I purchased my Sony VAIO PCG-FX804 laptop last year, and a fully charged battery provided 1.5hrs of battery life. However, 1 year later, I am lucky if I can get 60 minutes of battery life from it, after it is fully charged.

I have ensured care has been taken to look after the battery. I'm wondering if there is any way to try to get some battery life back, such as calibrating etc? If so, how can this be done?

Many thanks.

12 REPLIES 12
feederfan
Visitor

Well, if you use your battery a lot, then it will hold less charge over time. What you should try is changing your power settings so that your computer shuts down at 4%, then run the battery completley flat. Then charge it up again to 100%, this will condition it and should give you longer battery life, in theory.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Batteries don't last forever in VAIOs and a lot of use will mean it'll have less charge.

Best to get a new battery if you use it on the road a lot.

feederfan
Visitor

Hope mine doesnt die, replacement batteries arent cheap!

kee-lo_

Same here (touches wood)

AlanHudson
Visitor

it's also a good idea to remove the battery if you're running on AC power a lot - otherwise those charge cycles mount up.:smileysad:

Here's a link to a source of non-Sony battery replacements:
PCG-FX804 replacement battery

AlanHudson
Visitor

Here's another source for non-Sony laptop batteries. Bear in mind that using one of these will invalidate your warranty. But if you're out of warranty, it could save you a few pounds:smileywink:
laptop batteries

kee-lo_

Thanks Alan

feederfan
Visitor

Still not cheap though!.. think i should have stuck with my desktop! lol!

AlanHudson
Visitor

To make matters worse, my B1XP won't even operate with a third party replacement battery - a clever ploy to ensure that Sony maintain a monopoly on batteries:smileysad: