Join now - be part of our community!

Does anyone use SS to rip CDs?

Gazza13
Visitor

Does anyone use SS to rip CDs?

Just a thought really, I'm interested in finding out the many methods and feelings on the best way to rip CDs.

Personally I'm using Musicmatch jukebox 10 to rip / tag my CDs and then I import them into SS, finally I transfer them to the Vaio Pocket.

The benefit of doing it this way is that I get automatic cover art added to each mp3, without the hassle of manually finding and adding each one. However, I'm wondering if I have missed a trick with SS - is there a way to do it automatically with SS?

The only draw back to this method is that SS and the 'Group function' in the vaio sees each album as 'imported files'. Although so far it hasn't worried me, but if I was to want to use the group function it maybe another matter.

I have also tried using the vaio music transfer program but the art always dissapears?

So how do you do it and how easy do you find it?

John
:thinking:

6 REPLIES 6
chris_lewis
Visitor

Hi, I only use SS, I have had no problems and find the CDDB fairly accurate,
your right about the cover art though!! you have to go in manually and add it, it only takes a couple of seconds to do, I use Discogs & Amazon to find the art, save it to a dedicated file then attach to album.

I much prefer Atrac3 to mp3 for sound quality, and converting twice you will be degrading the quality even more, the devices also seem to work better when used with Sony codecs,

It does have DRM but you still get it added even when you transfer in MP3.

I use 132kbps for CD's & 256kbps for my vinyl collection.
to maximise space and still get good sound quality.

I haven't quite found the use for the group function yet either.

Hope this helps

C

Gazza13
Visitor

I'm very happy with the sound quality of the mp3s I've ripped so far, so I haven't felt the need to go down the Atrac3 route. (I'm just thinking about software and future compatibility really).

I find it strange that Sony hasn¿t included automatic art download option into SS. It almost seems like they are ignoring one of the main advantages over the competitors.

Since I've upgraded to V3 firmware I don't have to worry about 2 conversions (only the initial mp3 and then the strange Sony key thing to get it to work on the vaio). Also, importing the mp3s into SS doesn't rename the extension (I guess it¿s done at the point of transfer).

How do you go about ripping your vinyl collection? I've got some to do, but haven't decided upon the best way yet.

chris_lewis
Visitor

Hello,

I would love it to be automatic but this is Sony they dont see anyone as "competition" lol

I use Sonic Stage Mastering Studio, which records from my decks into .WAV format it saves the tune on the HD and automatically registers the song to SS, I then convert to 256k and delete the original WAV to save space.

Although you can use any other recording software, Nero is pretty good.

Then you can then import them into SS and do the above. 256k does use more room but the extra sound quality is well worth it for the old black stuff!!

C

kadafi
Visitor

Well, if most people are like me then they'd probably have another library manager (Windows Media Player, RealOne, MUSICMATCH etc), besides SonicStage.

I rip my latest CDs with SonicStage, and (for want of a better word) I re-ripped my CD collection to 256KBPs ATRAC3, because I found it significantly better (and a bit louder) than 192KBPs MP3.

My previous MP3 library which is around 15GB I had to convert using SonicStage to 256KPs, and then transfer to pocket vaio, and deleted the .omg files off my hard-drive (found in a directory called "optimized files") afterwards, since I have the original files in mp3 and it'll be pointless having 2 huge libraries (OMG and MP3) of the same music files.

I only synchronise SonicStage with new mp3 files and new CDs I buy, and even then I delete these .omg files once transfered to vaio pocket.

This means I have to keep careful tabs on my music and so I try to keep my library very organised.. basically, my SonicStage library is empty (since I delete files after transfer), and my mp3 library is organised with Creative Media Source, as it's integrated into the remote control of my Audigy 2 NX soundcard; I'll recommend Windows Media Player 10 (to organise an mp3 library) since it scored the highest in the CNET test found
here

About the art, SonicStage recognised around 70% of my album art even after converting to OMG, the rest I had to add manually by doing album art searches in google.. that shouldnt take too long if most of your library is in albums.

Finally I use "Tag and Rename 3.7" to organise my file tags; Awesome program, you need to see how well it can organise a 20GB library! Files that a tagged from this program (it supports just about every format apart from ATRAC), are recognised almost completely, both by SonicStage and Pocket Vaio.. "almost" because sometimes SonicStage doesn't recognise the album art...

Gazza13
Visitor

My first try was going to be Nero, it will be interesting to see how it goes. I wondered how good the quality was going to be given the analogue to digital conversion, and all the necessary cable connections. But you sound pretty happy with it at 256k. Maybe I should be looking at an ear upgrade instead of worrying about a couple of leads - LOL.

- Interesting kadafi what you say about SS not recognising some of the album art. In 75 CDs I've found a couple where the art has disappeared between the mp3 and the transfer into the vaio pocket. As you say adding the art in SS only takes a couple of seconds, but my, I am lazy. Should we be waiting for SS 2.4 for automatic art (any news out there?)

Maybe I'll upgrade of window media player 10 (currently at 9) to see how that goes.

chris_lewis
Visitor

Hi, I use WMP10 for my MP3 collection and its pretty good, it found stuff on my PC I didnt know I even had, I would probably use that if I didnt have 17 gig of Atrac3.

Re sound quality, I use 256kbps as it is still a manageble size for use on the Walkman, I actually record at 24bit/192khz through an external sound card and burn to CD before deleting the WAV, with clean vinyl the result is awesome!!

I have a bit of a fixation with sound quality as you may have guessed, Its one of the reasons I chose Atrac over MP3 and probably why Im a bit blind to its drawbacks..

Still, someone has to I suppose!!!

C