Join now - be part of our community!

Display has reduced

profile.country.en_GB.title
careyclose
Explorer

Display has reduced

I am running Windows XP and I think I might have a virus. The display has reduced with black bands on either side of the desk top and pages. Also the IE home page keeps   opening with a different home page to the one set (conduit.com) I keep re setting but conduit. com comes back. I have gone into tools in IE and disabled the server but it still comes back. I am presuming I have a virus. I have also serached in control panel for Add/Uninstall but can not find it. If I completely re install XP will that cure the problem of the display and get rid of the virus.

Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi careyclose,

Conduit is a ‘Browser Helper’ not a virus but may possibly have been installed by one.

First run a Full scan of your system to check for any malicious software then have a look at the following guide to remove Conduit.

http://forum.precisesecurity.com/computer-security/remove-conduit-search-engine-from-my-ie

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
careyclose
Explorer

Thank you, the forum did lead me to a solution to disable the conduit, contray to your opinion that it is not a virus contradicts most of the opinions on that forum, neverthe less i bow to your superior knowledge. I still need a answer to the problem of the black strips either side of the monitor making the page smaller. If it is like a TV then i think it might be on its way out but o don't want to bin it if it can be repaired at a sensible price. Thanks once again for the help, one problem solved (so far)

Regards

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi careyclose,

Apologies for the delay in replying.

Have you checked that you have the correct graphics driver installed? I would first try installing the original driver from the Sony Support site.

As you haven’t stated your model I can’t give you a direct link but follow this link and enter your model number.

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en

Rich

Message was edited by: rich912

Also make sure you have the correct native screen resolution set under Display Properties > Settings tab.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
careyclose
Explorer

High Rich, no problem. Yes checked Device Manager and had a yellow marker on it, downloaded the new one but made no difference. Screen resolution didn't do anything either. Gave it all up as a bad job and decided to use my recovery disc and start from new (I thought) Didn't go as planned. Recovered up to 51% and then ejected the recovery disc asking me to install a bootable disc, haven't got one. So the sad story is the computer is now useless. Went out and bought a cheap one so my wife can surf the net and do her banking while I have the other Sony all in one we bought last year with windows 7. Sorry to see my old one die like that because for all its slow habit and low ram (1Gb) it did everything I wanted and more. It had some really good software installed that they don't put on the later machines. I could watch and record TV from Freeview, plug in my VCR and copy tapes/CDs  sound record was brilliant and then with Pinnacle I could edit out the adverts, make my own video. With my new one it doesn't have composite ports only usb and try as I have I couldn't get any of the usb capture devices to work. I still have decided whether to just scrap it or try and find someone who could rescue it and try to run it in  parallel with my new one if that is possible. Thanks for taking an interest and if you have any thoughts let me know, if you don't mind me picking your brain.

Regards

Update: Had a Windows 7 upgrade disc set that I used on a laptop we had with Vista on it so I thought nothing to lose and tried to load windows 7 on. Sucessful, only problem now is no sony vaio programs. I had a look at my two recovery discs that I made when the computer was new but it is a bit over my head. Do you think I could put these discs in and recover the original programs? Still got the reduced screen but thats for another day.

Message was edited by: careyclose