Join now - be part of our community!

Bravia KDL-32EX403 - playing video over network

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
jimgardner
Explorer

Bravia KDL-32EX403 - playing video over network

I have converted one of my DVDs to MP4 format.  This plays ok on my laptop.  I have transferred the file to my external backup hard drive (Western Digital) which is connected to my home network.  I use this drive to backup files from my laptop and connectivity is fine.  I have also installed Twonky Media server on my laptop (Win 7 64 bit).  When I look on my Sony Bravia TV I can locate the MP4 video file on the network.  However when I select it I just get a black screen (no video and no audio).  Why can't I play back MP4 video files grom my network server???  I would like to copy my DVDs to digital MP4 format and store them on a network drive so that I can put my DVDs away in the loft saving bookshelf space!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I have had a look at the specifications of your TV, It supports MPEG2/AVCHD.  So this means that MP4 will not play on your TV.  I do not know how Twonky works (as I have never used it).  To play MP4's on your TV via DLNA you will need a DLNA Server that is capable of "on the fly" transcoding.  The drawback of this is that your CPU cycles will go through the roof whilst playing.

Have you tried using Sony's Homestream software instead?

http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/1237485339460

Cheers

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
st-rider
Explorer

FYI the Sony Homestream is based on serviio server.

Sony took that and tweaked the profiles for Sony products.

You might be better off downloading and trying serviio.

I know there's a profile for Sony Bravia TVs 2013 on the support forums too (try google it).

I hope this helps.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I have had a look at the specifications of your TV, It supports MPEG2/AVCHD.  So this means that MP4 will not play on your TV.  I do not know how Twonky works (as I have never used it).  To play MP4's on your TV via DLNA you will need a DLNA Server that is capable of "on the fly" transcoding.  The drawback of this is that your CPU cycles will go through the roof whilst playing.

Have you tried using Sony's Homestream software instead?

http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/1237485339460

Cheers

Tags (1)
st-rider
Explorer

FYI the Sony Homestream is based on serviio server.

Sony took that and tweaked the profiles for Sony products.

You might be better off downloading and trying serviio.

I know there's a profile for Sony Bravia TVs 2013 on the support forums too (try google it).

I hope this helps.